Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommended train trips from Clermont-Ferrand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:11 PM
David

I'll be in Clermont-Ferrand in April with my Dad who loves trains. Any recommended scenic train day trips from there?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Christina

Lucky you, I've always wanted to go there, maybe I'll make it one day. I think that area is best for car trips, of course, with tons of scenic areas in the countryside with the mountains and volcanos. I don't know if the train trip is scenic to these places, as I haven't done it, but for day trips I'd recommond Lyon and Le Puy-en-Velay. I know both of those have trains from Clermont.<BR><BR>Le Puy en Velay is a site with volcanic peaks rising from a plain, and has a UNESCO heritage site (Notre Dame cathedral), as well as some museums, and it's a center of lace-making. Here's their web site with ideas and some photos:<BR>http://www.mairie-le-puy-en-velay.fr/tourism/angl/summar.html<BR><BR>I think it is supposed to be a scenic route going south from Clermont-Ferrand through the mountains by train towards Nimes and that may be the route of the train to Puy-en-Velay. I think there are people on Fodors who know that area better than I do and they will post, hopefully.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:17 AM
David

Thanks Christina. The pictures of Le Puy-en-Velay look spectacular. I may have to fit an overnight into my itinerary.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:03 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 08:13 PM
mimi taylor

Tho its an industrial town dominated by the enormous Michelelin factories, it's an old town and a good base for tourists<BR>to visit the main attractions, the rivers, mountains and inspoiled wilderness.It's really two towns, Clermont andMontferrand. In old Clermont<BR>there are two churches worth a visit, the Basilica of Notre Dame-duport and the Cathedral of Notre Dame de l'&auml;ssumption.. Be sure to go take the excursion to the top of the Puy de Dome to see one of Europe's finest panoramas viewing this vast and wild region. This is the Auvergne where they found the lost sauvage child that Truffaut made a film about.You really should rent a car to see this area.So I can't tell you about the trains. The puy de Dome is the highest of the extinct volcanoes.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:03 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:17 AM
t

t

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:21 AM
David

Thanks for the info Mimi. I haven't seen &quot;L'Enfant Sauvage&quot; in years. I didn't realize it's association with the Auvergne.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:09 PM
ttt

ttt