Recommended restaurants in Venice

Jun 16th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Recommended restaurants in Venice

We're open to anything, but would (imagine this) nontouristy neighborhood restaurants, any price range.

Thanks.
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM

We had a very good meal with several Venetian fish specialities last month at Antiche Carampane in San Polo. It's medium expensive (250 euro for 4 of us) and quite a challenge to find - google their website for instructions.
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Forgot to say, we didn't notice any other americani or inglesi there.
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM
DRJ

There is an enormous thread on Chowhound/Italy featuring the restaurant Il Ridetto. I haven't been and don't know where it is, but next time I'm in Italy I'll be there. It seats ten or so and the chef is the server. Rave reviews!
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM

I spent 10 days in Venice last month and used tripadvisor.com to help me choose restaurants in Venice, and based on my experiences, I can heartily recommend:

• Ai Mercanti (expensive)
• Osteria Antico Giardinetto (ate there twice; moderate to expensive)
• A Beccafico (moderate to expensive)
• Al Mascaron (inexpensive to moderate)
• La Caravella (moderate to expensive)
• Da Fiore (expensive)

They are profiled on tripadvisor, and each one (except for Al Mascaron) has a website. So far, I’ve written my own reviews of these restaurants on tripadvisor under the moniker wanderful77, except for Da Fiore, which I will soon enough. Osteria Antico Giardinetto was especially wonderful.

Other places with very solid fare are Vini da Gigio, Antico Capon, and La Bottega ai Promessi Sposi.

The only disappointment was the overrated Osteria La Zucca in Santa Croce. My negative review on La Zucca was followed by other critical assessments by diners who had eaten there before and indicated it wasn’t as good as it used to be. I hadn't been there before, but I certainly wouldn't go back there.
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Honestly, you should locals for restaurant recommendations. Not the hotel because they usually push specific places, but ask locals for places out of the way that they go to.
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding.
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Uma

Alle Testiere has wonderful fish. It's a tiny place, so make a reservation. We also liked Ai Gondolieri.
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I second Alle Testiere but reserve early. For those places we need to reserve far in advance, we ask our hotel (by e-mail) to make them several weeks before our arrival.