Recommended books for London walks

Apr 16th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Vita

Recommended books for London walks

Hi. It's me again. Nothing serious left to plan for my London trip so I've just been enjoying flipping through various travel guides. I bought the Eyewitness Guide to London last night. Has anyone done any of the walks that they outline in the back of the guide? There are four. I plan on doing one or two walks with London Walks and a lot of aimless ambling, but I thought it might be nice to do one or two more structured walks on my own. Does anyone have any other recommendations for guide books with walking routes?

Apr 16th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Judy

There are several books I find quite interestingondon,Mystery reader's walking guide/Alzina Dale, John Hillaby's London(most helpful), London walks/Anton Powell.

Apr 16th, 2002, 06:21 AM
elaine

There is a book called "The Perfect London Walk" by Roger Ebert and someone else, can't recall at the moment.
It is essentially a detailed walking tour of Hampstead. I don't know if I'd call it "the perfect" but it is very interesting for a less-touristed part of London.
To give equal time to Fodors, the walking itineraries included in their guidebook for London I think are very good.

Apr 16th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Sara

Vita I've just had my Eyewitness book out to answer another query you must have known!. We have done the 2 hour walk along Regents Canal this is an excellent walk especially when Camden market is on, even if you don't do the full walk you must walk up Primrose Hill as described in the book but don't look behind you until you reach the top then turn around and the whole of London is spread out in front of you! We have also done the walk round Chelsea which was intersting. We got locked in the Chelsea Royal Hospital Grounds on a Saturday lunchtime! Oh its a long story.
Let us know if you do either of the other ones I will get around to them eventually.
Have fun

Apr 16th, 2002, 12:09 PM
drew

Vita:

Check out London Walks on the web - they have a HUGE selection of walks at almost any hour of the day. I've seen some positive posts about this company, and we'll try them out in one week. Pretty affordable. Hopefully not too crowded either.

Drew

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Vita

Thanks, Sara. I had wanted to climb Primrose Hill and that seems perfect for an intro to London on my first day.

Drew, I will be doing a couple of walks with London Walks but was also looking for something independent. Thanks.

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Simone

Daytrips London by Earl Steinbicker contains '55 one day adventures by rail or car, in and around London and Southern England. The book includes the following daytrips in London: 1) The City, 2) Westminster, 3) Chelsea, Kensington, Knightbridge and Belgravia, 4)The West End, 5)Southwark and Lambert, 6) Docklands, 7) Greenwich, and 8) Hampstead. Nearby are Richmond and Hampton Court.

I've used this book extensively - it contains excellent maps of each trip.

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Book Chick

Vita,
Don't forget "Americans in London" by Brian Morton, published by The Olivia & Hill Press. Interesting history of some famous (and infamous) American ex-pats living in London, and walks through their neighborhoods.

Happy Travels,
BC

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Daniela

The Original London Walks has a daytrip to Oxford and The Cotswolds( ?). Anybody has any info on it or the "evening pub tour ?

Apr 16th, 2002, 05:03 PM
nmm

Walking Haunted London by Richard Jones.
Saw a special on The Travel Channel. The book gives a narrarated tour on London's most haunts spots with distances and time allotments. Great book, a few of the sights were covered on my "Original London Walks" tour. ;-)