Recommendations on London Theatre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are the can't miss shows in London now? We will be there late May and need some recommendations. The wife likes musicals, I hate them and would could probably both agree on a good comedy comedy. No kids - all adults.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 04:27 AM

The award winner and the current "Don't Miss" of the season is certainly Jerry Springer the opera. Although you say you hate musicals, something tells me you'd like this one, unless you're easily offended by the near raunchy.

Currently there are very few comedies booked for late May. One exciting new one is a a production of the hysterically bizarre and very funny Fuddy Mears (a take on the words Muddy Fears) being staged by great director Sam Mendez as the first offering of his new company (he's the one who directed the film of American Beauty in case you don't know). It opens in May.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Not exactly a play but I vote for "The Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged". It was hilarious. Sort of Vaudeville type humor but very energetic. If they would have used this technique to teach the classics in school we might have more kids that would enjoy them. There is a website for the group. Search for The Reduced Shalespeare Company UK.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 04:57 AM
JonJon

Jerry Springer has to be one of THE most profane shows, ever....the thing has that entire "in your face talk show" concept down to a T and I'm glad I saw it. But it is apparently coming to Broadway eventually (if that's good info and makes a difference).

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:09 PM
vcl

According to the London papers last week, Jerry Springer is scheduled to open in SanFrancisco first, then move to New York sometime in 2005. Several evangelical groups have already promised to picket and try to stop the production.
In the UK, where the acclaimed chef Gordon Ramsey uses the F word about once every 15 seconds on his prime time television cooking show; Jerry merits about one walk-out per performance: usually when a black Jesus wearing a diaper announces that he's a little bit gay.
Jerry Springer is a remarkale show: a genuine pastiche opera with references from the Baroque period to Andrew Lloyd Webber. The cast is up to the ambition of the score and opera is perhaps the only genre that can do justice to the over-the-top situations that form the basis of a typical Jerry outing.
Jerry isn't for the faint of heart or the easily offended, but is a treat for the music lover who likes to see the horizons of opera expand or the secret Jerry fan who enjoys a good send-up.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:35 PM
P_M

My all time favorite musical is Phantom of the Opera, but if you hate musicals you might enjoy Mamma Mia more. I wouldn't call it a comedy, although it has a few funny moments, but the music is good and very uplifting.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:27 PM

Here's a semi-useful answer: there is a show I am planning to see that is based on an old radio program. Sounds like somehting you'd like if you like British humor and have some knowledge of some British stuff, or like figuring things out. For example apparently it includes a Brief Encounter parody. It's described in Time Out London. I will post again when I find the name of it.

I also plan to see the Jerry Springer show. Have wanted to for some time, it sounds great and original to me.

An Alan Bennett play opens this Saturday and is probably worth seeing - & probably smart to buy tickets now. It's at the Royal National Theatre, forget which stage.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:18 PM

South Bank Theaters...
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

The vote has swung decidedly against seeing Jerry Springer... apparently the profanity is offending some of the group. The 'The Lion King' is now being considered. I'm not sure that I'm up to that.... so the group will split up. Any suggestions/recommendations on a good show in same geographical area of London as Lion King which is at:

Lyceum Theatre
Wellington Street
London, WC2E 7DN

thanks