Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations of where to stay in Burgundy

Old Jun 30th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the suggestions of many we will travel to Burgundy. Now, where to stay. Right now it looks like there are great recs for staying in Beaune. Does anyone have any other town or even hotel suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 02:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed in a number of places while taking a long walk (5 or 6 days) along the Burgundy Canal with Beaune the last place in the region. I loved the walk and the villages and countryside places I stayed as I walked but Beaune was the best of all for me. Not too big, not too small but just right.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you MmePerdu! That seems consistent with what I'm discovering. .
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM

Beaune is small enough that when we stayed at the Best Western, I could drive around the ring road from the parking lot back to the hotel in about 15 minutes. The ring road is one-way. The Best Western is about a block outside the road and easy walking distance into the town center. But, don't try to park in their garage unless you have a very small car. The hotel itself is in a older building with lots of charm.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 08:36 PM

Dijon, with a stay in the apartment, www.myhomeindijon.com
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 10:01 PM

Beaune, We stayed at Chateau de Laborde. about a 5 min drive outside Beaune, Stay in the middle of a vineyard . 2 Apartments in the old stables. I have to admit, we Know the owners, but that is irrelevant. A great place to stay. I'd rcommend it even if we didn't know the owners. just look at website.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 11:07 PM

We absolutely love Beaune! Its walkable and has some fantastic restaurants. A great market on Sat as well.

Dont miss the marches aux vins for the wine tasting done in the cellars!
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 03:28 AM

For something off the beaten path in a beautiful corner of Burgundy, check out Château Sainte Sabine, renovated and opened as a hotel in 2011, just across the valley from Châteauneuf ( www.saintesabine.com ). See my Burgundy trip report here (April 28, 2013 - down the page a bit): http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...wine-route.cfm
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 05:25 AM

Burgundy is a large region and Beaune is certainly a wonderful town but it's only a good base if you plan on seeing things near to Beaune, although it is in the most central part of the region. Depending on how long you'll have to explore Burgundy it might make sense to have two bases so you'll be centrally located to those places you want to visit within easy driving distance. I sort of divide Burgundy into three different areas (obviously this is arbitrary), the northwest section around Auxerre and Semur-en-Auxois, the central area near Dijon and Beaune and the southern portion not far from Tournus. This is an overly simplistic way of dividing up Burgundy and there are other bits not that close to these three areas that are worth exploring. You can have a look at this thread which has links to all the major tourist office websites for Burgundy if you want to do a little research:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...-Burgundy.html
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 06:37 AM

I second Dijon as rec by grandmere. Best if you don't have a car.