Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations in Hallstatt and St. Wolfgang?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

My fiancé and I will be stopping in the small Austrian towns of Hallstatt and St. Wolfgang briefly during our Honeymoon in September. We will be in each town for only a couple hours around mid-day to have lunch, on two separate days. Could you recommend where to have lunch (under $40) and some interesting things to do or see in each of these towns that will not be too time consuming? In Hallstatt, we were planning on walking to the “Hallstatter See” after eating lunch. I do not know much about St. Wolfgang. Any recommendations in either town would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Gasthof Zauner and Hotel Simony have really delicious food. Not expensive at all. At Hotel Simony you can sit right at the lake. I have eaten at both places several times. Never had a bad meal.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Guess I should say they are in beautiful Hallstatt.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM

nice museum in Hallstedt - also go up to cemetary and see the vault where all the bones are stored!! beautiful town!!
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I was just looking online at the The Dachstein Krippenstein cable-car and caves. Has anyone gone on the cable car and up to the caves and viewpoint? It looks beautiful. How long does this take, and how accessible is the cable car (does it go right out of Hallstatt)? How frequently does it run?

Here’s the link:
http://www.hallstatt.net/publisher/a...mArticleID/15/
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 12:15 PM

I have done the Dachstein cable cars twice. You can drive there or bus --only about 10 minutes from Hallstatt. I'm not sure how often the cable cars run, but it's only minutes. I have not gone to the caves, but the views from the Five Fingers there are drop-dead gorgeous! I plan to go again in June, maybe to the caves too. You may want to spend the night in Hallstatt. It's an awesome village. I have taken the funicular up to the salt mines several times. Never done the salt mine tour, only up for the walks and views.