Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Istanbul day trips, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Istanbul for 11 days (end March) and staying in an apartment. We'd like to do a couple of day-trips from Istanbul! Any recommendations for places to go? My definition of a day-trip is go and come in the same day. We want to have a continuous stay in our apartment.

Also, if you could include info. on how to get there and back, that would be great!

Thanks so much!

LisaG
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 11:29 AM

lisa:

I hope I'm correct in assuming there'll be no rental car.

I can't think of anything easier to do or more enjoyable than the slow ferry(stops several times on each side of the Bosphorus)trip. You can catch it at Eminonu (at the Galata Bridge)....and I'd suggest disembarking at the last stop (on the Asian Side) at Anadolu Kavagi...a nice little typical Turkish town...plenty of restaurants for lunch, and a wonderful short hike up to the fortress ruins with knock-out views of the canal and the entrance to the Black Sea. Give yourselves a few hours here for lunch and the walk and be sure to check the schedule in order to catch the last ferry back to Istanbul.

With just a day trip, there are limited choices as far as I know. Some folks do the Prince's Islands (Buyukada)..a short, less than an hour ride by ferry. There are also hydrofoils that do it much faster. Both ways are quite inexpensive. (No cars allowed on the islands)..so it can be done in one day also even on winter schedules. We never opted for this, since our trips have taken in a good chunk of the country.

While on the Bosphorus tour, if there are any sites (for example Rumeli castle) that you would want to visit, it would be best to take a bus on another day. You really only have enough time to get off at one stop...and I strongly suggest Anadolu Kavagi as recommended above.(see pix)

Here are some scanned photos, pre-digital, taken in the 90's
and several are of the aforementioned Bosphorus ferry trip...also a few of the Pierre Loti Cafe, which you must visit for afternoon tea and the 5:00 pm "call to prayer" emanating from all the mosques in downtown Istanbul.An unforgettable experience.

There is plenty to do within Istanbul, but in 11 days you may wnt to venture out on a least two side trips...like the above. If, on the other hand, you were willing to go off for two days or more, there are several sites within reach...but that's not an option according to your post.

Enjoy Istanbul..it will be a highlight of your travel memories.

Stu T.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/ScenesOfTurkey#

(set on slide show)...if you wish to view individual pics, they can all be magnified by using the magnifying glass icon)
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Stu,

First of all, I am so honored that you've replied to my post! I'm actually communicating with Stu T.! I've read so many of your posts in the past, it's a bit exciting!

Your information is really exactly what we were looking for. I've printed it to take with us. You were right in your assumption about no rental car, so a slow ferry sounds great.

As my husband just said "wow...that was nice of him to give so much information"....I agree! Many thanks.

LisaG
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM

Lisa, you've made me blush....but, in reality that is exactly what this forum is supposed to stand for...give helpful information to any member seeking it, especally if you've experienced it personally at some time. Pleas do not hesitate to ask anything pertaining to Istanbul. Many Fodortites have visited and loved Istanbul and Turkey...and I'm sure all would chip in to help. One of them just returned and wrote a trip report..very detailed...I had sent her a letter before she left, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I shared it with you...send me email address and I will send you a copy..may be helpful in details and insider tips. Were the pix helpful to you?

stu tower [email protected]
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:47 AM

Hi Stu
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Stu that the ferry to the Princes' Islands (there are three of them, if I remember right) is a good day trip, and I actually did it on my last visit to Istanbul. A few pix here: kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/264391 and TR here: wilhelmswords.com/eur2006/index.html - Turkey Transit. Next time I might look at visiting Gallipoli, but I don't think it's a day trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Why would you go to Buyukada for the day? The only reason would be to see the Monastery of St. George.

There is nothing wrong with Buyukada (I stayed on the island for a few days in July 2005, at the Splendid Palace which has a swimming pool), but there is so much to see and do in Istanbul that it would surely disappoint.

Many people take the carriage ride around Buyukada, but all you will see is trash-strewn countryside as many Stambulis bring picnic lunches with them and throw their garbage from the carriages when they are finished.

I also would not recommend Buyukada in late March.

Thingorjus
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Your pictures are wonderful!! The caves are awesome, what town were they in...how did you get there? Cappadocia and Pamukkale look wonderful, how much time did you spend there?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Thin - actually, I went to Heybeliada, not Buyukada, and I didn't see any trash, and hardly any other visitors for that matter. The OP asked for day trips, and if they're spending 11 days in Istanbul a quiet interlude might be welcome. If you don't like the idea of the islands, what's your suggestion?

But I agree that it's better to visit the islands in good weather.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Oh, so you do agree that ONE of the islands would make a good day trip? And I'm still waiting for you to actually give the OP some advice, instead of disagreeing with other posters.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM

wow...
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Travellin' fool:

I think you've commented on my old scanned pix.. Pamukkale, etc. The fresco caves are in the Ihlara valley in Cappadocia. We drove throughout Turkey over a month that time. Happy you enjoyed the pix...pre-digital of course. Pamukkale looks like a "ski" resort which it isn't....also Aphrodisa with the poppy fields..fascinating country (shameful we have to put up with such nasty ego-trippers, here, though)...Any other questions, please ask.

stu Tower
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Stu, Your pictures are wonderful, and really helpful. It's always useful to see things as others have seen them. I've sent you an email for your letter...thanks for the kind offer.

Thin, Thanks for the heads-up on the garbage on Buyukada. Good to know. By the way....I get a big kick out of your inventive screen names. Always a laugh for me given the seriousness with which many worship these names!

Thanks everyone!

LisaG