Recommendations for Germany guidebooks

Mar 5th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Miss Early Planner

Recommendations for Germany guidebooks

I'm planning well in advance for a 2002 vacation to Germany and would love suggestions for great guidebooks or other books to read ahead of time. Have traveled on 1-1/2 weeks in southern Germany and the length of the Romantic Road route.

Thank you!

Mar 5th, 2001, 10:11 AM
wes fowler

Congratulations on having the foresight to plan so well in advance. You'll benefit greatly by being well prepared to enjoy your trip.
Recommending guidebooks is a highly subjective act. What may interest one person may have no appeal to another. Nevertheless, here are the guides that I rely heavily upon, in no particular order:
The Insight Guide to Germany, APA Publications.
Michelin Green Guide to Germany
Baedeker's Guide to Germany, Macmillan Travel
Germany, A Phaidon Cultural Guide, Prentice Hall
The Visitor's Guide to Bavaria, Hunter Publishing Inc
Karen Brown's German Country Inns and Castles, Warner Books
Karen Brown's German Country Inns and Itineraries, The Globe Pequot Press

Having said that, the best sources for German trip planning are the regional, city and vilage tourist information offices in Germany, almost all of whom have websites and Email addresses. (Just coincidentally, in today's mail I received 15 brochures, one of which is 130 pages in length, and four maps from the East Bavaria tourist office in Regensburg.I now have a listing of accommodations and prices, festival and cultural event dates and information on art and history museums for a relatively small part of Germany.)

Some years ago, in response to a request for information on Bavaria's Pfaffenwinkel area, I received a wealth of information and maps together with a rate sheet, written in pencil(!) for a lovely, small inn just off the Romantic Road.

Drop an Email to [email protected]
and see what you'll receive in the mail in about four weeks.
If you're interested in some websites, drop me an Email, tell me where you hope to be traveling, and I'll dig through my files.

Mar 6th, 2001, 01:01 AM
Nancy

If you are touring Germany on your own you can't beat "Rick Steves Germany, Austria & Switzerland". The list of accomodations is wonderful. I have never been steered wrong by his books.

Mar 6th, 2001, 02:45 AM
the turnip

I must second Nancy's suggestion of Rick Steve's book. He doesn't get into great depth or cover every sight, but what he deos cover he covers well. His books are also written recognizing that American vacation time is painfully short and helps you trim some of the fat from your trip.

Have a great time in Germany and don't be afraid to consider adding a little Austria or Switzerland into the mix.

Cheers, the turnip

Mar 10th, 2001, 07:18 AM
susanne

get in touch with the "germantourist bureau" and ask them to send you info such as maps, area- specific info, festivals etc.
the canadian one sent me a ton of excellent stuff. Also "germany-tourism.de"
Have fun, Sue