Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Contingency plans needed for Cotswolds and North Wales

Mar 6th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Bobbe & Ken

We will be leaving for the UK exactly one month from today. I received a reply from the Cotswolds TIC that all footpaths, etc. and National Trust sites are currently closed (except Warwick). I don't know if he meant just in the Cotswolds or the entire country. We've also read that the NT sites are closed throughout most of the UK. If the F/H-and-M disease situation remains the same or gets worse, the closures will wipe out 2/3 of our trip plans (we will also be in Bath for 2-3 days and London for 5 days). We will have a car, except in London. Any suggestions, please, for alternative plans! We would like to be able to do some walking and exploring, and if possible, avoid long drives in the car. Wow! This has really taken the wind out of our sails!! Many thanks.

Mar 8th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Steve James

Hello Bobbe & Ken,

The situation is changing all the time, and I would suggest you re-post your question in another 2/3 weeks. It's difficult to know how this will develop, - you may not need to change your original plans...

Mar 9th, 2001, 06:53 AM
keith

dear Bobbie&ken. If as the previous correspondent says "it could all be over in 2 or 3",then all is well,but bear in mind that there are lots of very pleasant walks along country lanes,which are quite safe and if you visit n.wales where I live.there are hundreds of miles of the most beautifulbeach walks,and they are filled with some of the worlds most beautiful sea birds,particularily Anglesey,and you wont be contributing toi the spread of the dreaded disease,lots to do ,dont worry about that.have a lovely time

Mar 9th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Linda

I think that, with a little research, you will find plenty to do that won't be effected by the F&M problem. The Cotswalds and North Wales are wonderful places to visit--with enough to do to keep you busy for a lifetime.

Mar 9th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Bobbe

Thanks - Linda, Keith and Steve! Your responses are uplifting. I'll try to get beyond my ultra-Virgo tendencies (i.e, overplanning), and we'll just have to "play it by ear" and, I guess, also get recommendations once we are there. I'm also amazed that I received any responses because I had the message set for the UK section, but it didn't get there. Even tried it twice! Has anyone else had this problem? I've encountered it numerous times with this message board (not getting to the sub-section). Ayway, all further suggestions are still welcome....

Mar 9th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Linda

There is no UK section; all posts on European questions/comments go to the Europe board. That's where you are now.

Mar 10th, 2001, 07:26 AM
kate

You can do a lot of walking through castles.