Recommendation restaurants Gent, Belgium

Old Jan 11th, 2020, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendation restaurants Gent, Belgium

Hello dear Fodorites,
I didn't receive any reply to my first post which I found quite unusual. Perhaps I should re-phrase my question.

During the first weekend of February my husband and I will visit Gent, Belgium at the invitation of our two adult children. This is a present on the occasion of our 40th wedding anniversary and, great surprise, they will join us! We will therefore be a party of four. We are fully aware that this weekend will mark the start of the famous Van Eyck exhibition but we will include a visit to the exhibit in our itinerary.

It was a bit difficult to find a hotel at such short notice but we found two double rooms in the Gravensteen hotel which seems ok for such a short stay.
Question: we are looking for suggestions for nice restaurants in the center of the city. We are not into nouvelle cuisine but are looking for proper Belgian quality cuisine, with a modern twist, preferably in a nice, friendly ambiance. For our first night I have booked restaurant 't Pakhuys which is a brasserie style restaurant but frankly we are looking for something more 'cosy'.
We'd welcome any tips or travel suggestions. Thank you in advance and of course I will share my experiences on this platform.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 09:05 AM

Maybe Poppr Website, very much near your hotel

But can I just warmly recommend https://www.chambreseparee.be/

You'll have an amazing night, great food, great ambiance. Do book.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions Menachem. I look forward to having a look at the websites!
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:17 AM

Try to get a table at Vrijmoed.
Otherwise Oak or Gillis.