recomendations for a comfortable and fashiobable boot

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm traveling in amsterdam at the end of december/early january. can anyone suggest a comfortable walking boots that is somewhat fashionable? i am having trouble finding someting. someone suggested uggs..but i am not sure. thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Did you try those Canadian companies.. La Canadienne is one and there are others. I have a black lether pair lined in sheepskin that a re very comfy and were not expensive.

www.lacanadienne.ca
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM

I just bought two pair of very cool and extremely comfortable NAOT short boots. One is black leather with an embroidered design and the other is a olive green suede and leather with a leather design and I think they are quite sharp. They have arch supports and I walk a lot and they are super comfortable. You can check out NAOT's on Zappos.com.

Uggs will keep your feet warm but they are not good if they get wet and I wouldn't call them fashionable unless you're a teenager. My daughter loves her Ugg's (she's 16) and has been wearing Uggs for a few years now.

Canadienne do make some lovely waterproof boots.

Check out the Zappos website because people often write reviews of different shoes that they purchase so you could get some feedback on boots you find appealing.
Good luck.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 05:55 PM

I would be hesitant about fleece lined. These are good for apres ski - but I've found them unbearably warm when you're in a city and going in and out of buildings.

And while Amsterdam is chilly - it's not arctic and doesn;t get that much snow.

I like leather or suede (waterproofed) low ankle booties or scrunch boots. Just prefer lowish heels and ridged bottoms - since ice is more an issue than snow.

Zappos has a good collection and is nice that you can see the bottom of the boot. Also- I just got a really cute pair of Lily Pulitzer on supersale at Neiman Marcus. Butter soft suede and nice ridged bottom - can;t wait to wear them - but it's been too warm so far.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM

My daughter took her Uggs, she wore them last year in Amsterdam too. But she also took black leather lined boots that have a short heel.
Remember, lots of cobblestones!
Santana is another wonderful Canadian waterproof leather boot..I wore them all the time in NY.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM
JaneRebecca

Ecco makes great boots and they are definitely made for walking and are stylish.

ecco.com

zappos.com

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Don't know if you're looking for a short or tall boot. But I took this short one to Italy in Jan/Feb this year. Soft glove-like leather, rubber soles, comfortable heel. I waterproofed them before we left.

Sesto Meucci Semira
http://tinyurl.com/yk4qf6

(This is the Nordstrom link with several views. Shop around for a better price. Parisians had them last year.)

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Cole Haan makes shoes and boots that are super soft and comfortable. Make sure you get the one that has Nike Air. Check out the "Latashia" boots now also called the "Oprah Boots" (I hate to even mention this part because I hate Oprah) Very light.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:17 PM

I bought a pair of Merrell high flat boots at Nordstrom that are very comfortable and fashionable (according to a recent posting on Paris.)
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM

Try Geox. Nordstrom carries them and their website shows they also have stores in Amsterdam where you could probably get them tax free (just box them back up before leaving and try to pass them off as unworn).

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:32 AM

Fratelli Rosseti's Flexa range is very comfortable, and stylish too. They have boots as well as shoes. I've had a pair of Flexa boots for 3 years, and always wear them on city trips.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:42 AM

I love my Uggs but don't find them comfortable to walk very far - the fleece can chafe a bit and there is little ankle support.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the tips!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:57 AM

Try JCPenney, plenty choices and it doesn't break your budget. Get some heel, but not the stiletto type. Ankle height should allow some breathing, black leather, treat them before leaving with water repellent treatment. You don't have a lot of time to dilly dally, so make a desicion, girl!!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM

I will chime in with my usual rec -- Aquatalia, waterproof suede. Check out the aquatalia boots on sale at www.sierratradingpost.com

Aerosoles also have very comfortable boots -- everytime I'm in their store, spring or winter, I overhear other women who are looking for shoes for their EU vacation. Quite inexpensive -- but you'll need to waterproof them yourself.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM

How do you waterproof shoes or boots..with a spray product? Does it change the color? Thanks!

I agree about thinking twice about taking fur-lined boots..my feet get very hot in these indoors so I would not take them on a trip unless going to Greenland.

Uggs are UGLY.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM

If you're water-proofing suede, you want to use a spray, if you're water-proofing leather, a cream like mink oil cream is the most effective thing to use.

BC
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Uggs do not have enough support to serve as a good walking shoe.

Naot is a great brand, as are Geox, Ecco, Lizflex.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM

I never wore them, but the UGGS don't look like they have support so that would kill your feet and calves if you want to walk far. Sorry but the Aerosoles don't give enough arch support for me and the soles are slippery. In fact, nowadays I can't find footwear that feature gripping soles. A few years ago Naturalizer used to feature very good boots (non-skid soles, comfortable yet fashionable) but I don't find it to be that way again.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:47 PM

Another Canadian boot company is Blanco. I just bought 2 pairs, stylish, and with my smartfeet insoles they're great for walking. One is waterproof brown suede, one is black leather equestrian style. Both have latex soles which I think give me that extra spring plus great support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -