Recharging camera batteries

Mar 15th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Joe

Recharging camera batteries

Has anyone had experience in Europe in general and Great Britain specifically with
re-charging camera batteries? I will be taking a Sony digital camcorder that uses a rechargable litium battery and a small digital camera that uses rechargeable AA nickel-metal hydride batteries. I thought I could take a converter and plug adaptor but I wonder if that will work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 15th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Joe

Whoops! I listed my e-mail address incorrectly in the "Recharging camera Batteries" post listed above. Sorry.

Mar 15th, 2000, 05:20 PM
anne

All the camcorders I know of are dual voltage. Check near the cord of the charging component for the 120/240 information (sorry I don't know the correct terms). All that's been required for our equipment has been a plug converter. The chargers adapt to the electricity supplied, both in the UK and continental Europe.

Mar 15th, 2000, 10:27 PM
greg

I have taken a sony digital camcorder with lithium batteries. My charger says "AC in 110/240V 50/60HZ" and pretty sure yours should say so also. Then, all you need is a plug adaptor. No converter needed for your camcorder.

Recharging the AA NiMH battery can be more problem if you are using just an off the shelf charger. I have never seen 110/240 50/60HZ version of this product. Again look at the AC in spec. If you just paid few dollars, it will NOT be autovoltage sensing type. Even if you get voltage converter for this purpose, your charger need to tolerate the 50HZ. I have not experimented using 60HZ product on 50HZ. I have tried to use 50HZ radio on 60HZ after using the voltage converter -- it started smoking in few minutes as expected with product with a transformer in it.

Besure to get the correct plug for the UK that look like this:

http://www.wonpro.com/html/uni_adapters.htm

or the middle big one here:

http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...2&prmenbr=8000

After few close call almost leaving the adapter at hotel, I now tape the adapter to the charger using the electrical tape before the trip so I don't have to worry about losing it.

Mar 16th, 2000, 09:12 AM
Joe

Anne & Greg...Thanks for the valuable information. I realize now that my camcorder will be no problem. Recharging the AA NiMH batteries may pose a problem. Even a call to Eveready proved to be of no help. However, unless we find a solution, we will simply take a couple of extra sets of charged batteries. Thanks again.

Mar 17th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Paul

Joe - I don't have a camcorder, but my cellular phone has NiMH batteries, and came with a charger that works on any voltage. It is very small and lightweight, and has different plugs for various world-wide locations. I've used it both in the US and in Italy with absolutely no problem. My point is that such things do exist. I would try some of the larger camera/video stores in NYC, which do business with folks traveling back & forth. Good luck!