Positano & Capri

Mar 14th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Beth

Positano & Capri

I'm planning a honeymoon to the Amalfi Coast in September. We are flying into Paris, staying for a few nights, and then on to Positano. In all my "surfing" I've found a hotel that sounds very interesting. It is named La Fenice and is supposedly just outside of Positano. Has anyone stayed there? I'm wondering how far outside of town it is and what it's really like. We also plan to stay in Capri for 2-3 nights. I've heard Punta Tragara is fabulous, but I'm also looking at Hotel Luna. We like the smaller, more quaint hotels. Suggestions? By the way, if anyone can help, should we fly from Paris or take a train?

Mar 15th, 2000, 02:32 PM
dahlia

Beth, I heard that Le Fenice is good, can you give me their website and e-mail address or tel/fax #. Thanks.

Mar 15th, 2000, 03:21 PM
Beth

I don't think they have a web site. All I could find on La Fenice, besides a book that I have, is this website: http://www.karenbrown.com/italy/lafenice.html
Thanks for your help!

Mar 15th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Barbara

Beth,

La Fenice is a gem. We have stayed there four times in ten years and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The rooms are simple, the gardens and views spectacular, the owners charming and very knowledgeable about the area. Call Costantino -- he speaks English, or fax. He is quick to reply. But hurry, - rooms go quickly. Request one of the rooms below the road if you can walk a lot of steps, as they are nicer. The walk to town is 5 minutes up the street, just far enough to be away from noise. If you need further information, just send me an e-mail. Buon Viaggio.

Mar 15th, 2000, 06:52 PM
RK

Beth:

I think there were several posts from last year or so re: hotels in Positano and La Fenice, in particular. There's a bunch of Fodorites that are La Fenice fans. I stayed there in Oct '97 on my first visit to Positano. Don't believe they have a website; found them via Karen Brown's book (B&B's in Italy).
It's a quiet charming place outside the main portion of Positano - and as a prior poster suggested, do request one of the rooms "below" street level. The place is split on two sides of the road; on the lower level you're perched along the cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean. It's not a fancy place, but I think it'd make a lovely honeymoon spot.
Went back to Italy last year (April '99) and was with a small group of folks; we all couldn't fit in La Fenice, so I stayed at another bed & breakfast listed in Karen Brown's book called "Villa Rosa". It's more centrally located on a main drag in Positano. In fact, the Villa Rosa is directly across the street from one of Positano's posh hotels, Le Sirenuse. One night wandered across the way & enjoyed a lovely drink in their bar.
But back to "VR" - I found their accommadations very nice for the price - believe it cost 180,000 lira for a double. Think La Fenice is charging 190,000 lira for a double these days.
Can't go wrong with either selection.

Mar 16th, 2000, 08:37 PM
Patrick

Good answers for Positano, but as for Capri. . . We almost stayed at the Luna, but instead changed to Hotel Flora, a much smaller place. When we were on Capri, we went by the Luna, and although it seemed very nice, we were amazed at the stacks of suitcases out front --it seemed mainly geared for tour groups.

Mar 17th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Gary Rose

Beth:
The Luna is a beautiful hotel, with a great location and incredible views. It is not a group vacation spot at all. The reason the suitcases are out front is because they take all of the suitcases down to the hydrofoil for all departing guests.
I've stayed there 3 times, and will be returning this summer