Bringing a Laptop

Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:25 PM
Sylvie

Bringing a Laptop

has anyone ever done it and/or know what's involved? i'm over there for six months and i'd like to be able to stay in contact through e-mailing. the town i'll be in is too small to have an internet cafe and the local library's computer is usually not working.... grazie mille!

Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:34 PM
Paul

Sylvie - For the electrical connection, you'll need a plug adapter and a voltage converter, and you should also bring along a surge protector. For the modem, you'll need a telephone plug adapter, and you should look for a modem surge protector as well. Check out Magellan's for this gear at www.magellans.com.

-A fellow computer geek

Mar 2nd, 2000, 02:04 PM
lola

I've "done it" and ruined my computer because of bad local advice on adapters and voltage. Be very, very sure of what capacities are there--and always use a surge protector.

Mar 2nd, 2000, 02:10 PM
John

Hi, Sylvie,
Check the transformer on the power cord you already have. Many (all?) will say if they accept 220v input voltage (mine does). If so, then all you need is a plug adaptor, plus any surge protection you feel you may need. Of course you will still need to find an internet service provider to connect to the web. Also be careful if you plan to take any US extension cords over. Make sure they're rated for 220v also. Heat happens.

Mar 2nd, 2000, 03:11 PM
Helena

Where will you be taking it? Italy?

Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:34 AM
frank

European telephone connectors are often
different from US, you may need an adaptor.
By convention, all modems have a US style female output,wherever in the world you buy them..When you buy a modem in the UK (for instance)it comes with a cable with US male at one end & UK male at the other.(!)
If unsure about the situation in country you are going to, wait until you get there then buy your modem cable, they will supply the right one.
Be aware that many surge protectors only work for one surge,after that you are unprotected.There will be some indication if it blows.Read the instructions.
When you get hooked up let the board know!
BEWARE - sometimes people hang about airports looking for travellers arriving with laptops, airports being the easiest place to see laptops.They follow them from the airport and.....
Keep it hid until you are clear of the airport.Laptops are easy to sell, they are the best thing you can steal.

Mar 17th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Sylvie

i want to thank everyone for their advice! and to helena, yes -- i'll be in italy. molto grazie!