Who knows Avignon ?

Mar 16th, 2000, 04:49 AM
Claudia

Who knows Avignon ?

Id like advices where to stay ( cheap options ) , what to do, day tours and web sites of Avigon.
Im going there in the next april

Thanks

Cludia

Mar 16th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Claudia

??

Mar 16th, 2000, 09:58 AM
Ellen

I stayed at the Hotel Danieli which is rather inexpensive ($60/double) about 2 years ago. No breakfast included. Great location. Place was basic but clean.
If you want, e-mail me directly and I'll send you their web site.

Be sure to see the Palais de Papes. If you have a car, be sure to get to Gordes, Rousillon and Le Baux. If you are there on a Saturday, take an early train to Arles for their fabulous morning market.
Ellen

Mar 16th, 2000, 11:35 PM
Susan

Dear Claudia:
We didn't stay in a very cheap place in Avignon so I won't recommend it, but the city is well worth a visit. This was in Fall, 1998)
We took a day tour to the Camargue (a fascinating area south of there - French cowboys, salt marshes, white Moorish horses, the 13th century town of Aigues-Mortes, etc.). The tour company was the the Excursions SNCF & they have an office in a small office outside the main building of the main train station. They also had tours to Nimes & Pont du Gard, Vaison-la-Romaine & Orange, St. Remy-de-Provence & Les Baux, & Gordes & Roussillon. (The tour we took to the Camargue was reasonably priced.) e-mail: [email protected].
By all means, go to Arles for the Saturday market (easy to get to by train) as well as to see the folklore Museon Arlaten ( everything is in French) & the Musee de L'Arles (ancient history museum).
Also, we took a bus to St. Remy where we visited Glanum, a partially excavated Roman town, & the hospital where Van Gogh stayed (later, we learned we could have toured his bedroom, which is upstairs).
www.palais-des-papes.com (may be only in French); www.saintes-maries-camargue.enprovence.com, www.visitprovence.com,
Any questions, feel free to e-mail me.
Susan

Mar 17th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Skidmore

Palais de Papes is a must. Also, I took a bus out to the Pont du Garde (a well-preserved) fabulous Roman bridge. I recommend it highly, but, as I recall, there were not many buses.

Mar 17th, 2000, 08:42 AM
kerr

I have spent a lot of time in Avignon and agree with all the suggestions of things to do, but don't neglect just walking around Avignon. There are wonderful old streets ie. rue de tientiers that is a cobblestoned street with old water wheels--also the market Les Halles which is in a newish building but has great food. Speaking of food, with a few exceptions do not eat or drink on the Place d'horloge--overpriced and not very good. If you walk just a few blocks off the square you can find some wonderful restaurants where the natives dine. I highly recommend l'epicere and Le Cafe.