Reload this Page >

reasonably priced accommodation in paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 1998, 09:16 AM
denna ong

<BR>can anyone recommend a reasonably priced room for about 3 nights for my teenage son and me in december? we don't speak french - this will be a real problem. my son takes german in school but i seriously doubt his linguistic ability! thanks.

Old Oct 24th, 1998, 09:54 AM
s.fowler

I'd recommend any of the small hotels in the 7th arrondissement that have been listed here. You can do a 'text search' <BR>for Champ de mar or Muguet for example. We decided on Hotel Muguet, but there are several nices ones in the area. If the 'best western' name makes you feel at home try Hotel Derby Eiffel. It's still under $150 a night and in the same neighborhood. <BR>I wouldn't worry about speaking french. Just learn a few of the polite words and then point and/or use sign language. There is lots of good advice on this forum about what to see and how to get around. Again try a search of the site. <BR>Have a wonderful time! I'll be there in early December too and I can't WAIT!

Old Oct 24th, 1998, 10:28 AM
Mel Roberts

I stayed in a twin room at the Campanile Hotel in the Pantin area of Paris this summer. It's just by the 'Peripherique' (Paris Ring Road) and about 30 seconds walk from a Metro Station (takes about 30 mins to get to central Paris by Metro from there). Although it's not exactly in the middle of Paris, rooms are only 370FFr a night (I'm British.. umm... about $60?), and they are very similar to Holiday Inns (Direct-Dial phone, TV, bath & shower etc.). Also, the receptionists spoke English.. always a help. Campanile's website is at www.campanile.fr search for Pantin to find particulars on the Hotel I've mentioned, or just Paris for a list of all their hotels in Paris. If you have any more questions feel free to email me and I'll do my best to answer! Bon Chance!

Old Oct 24th, 1998, 08:56 PM
Phyllis

We've stayed in the 7me at the Champs de Mars recommended in the entry above and liked it very much. Small hotel, and popular with Americans. Staff speaks English. Price is under $100 and several reasonably-priced restaurants in area.Metro is close-by. Good neighborhood. <BR>

Old Oct 24th, 1998, 10:19 PM
Donna

I, too, would recommend a hotel in the 7th. Grand Hotel Leveque is a real bargain, and it's been recently completely renovated. However, it's a Rick Steves favorite, so you must book way in advance. You might also want to peruse a copy of "Cheap Sleeps in Paris" which not only lists dozens of reasonably priced places to stay, but indicates whether or not the staff speaks English.

Old Oct 25th, 1998, 02:21 PM
Anna

I would recommend staying in the 7th as well, in the rue Cler neighborhood. I stayed at the Hotel du Centre, across from the Grand Leveque (they were full). I'd try to get into the Leveque, if they're booked, try the Centre. The Ecole Militaire metro stop is only a block or so away and you are within 6 blocks of the Eiffel Tower. There are also several groceries and bakeries in the area, as well as a post office. We don't speak French either and didn't have any problems. <BR>Hotel du Centre <BR>1-47055233 phone <BR>1-40629566 fax <BR>Hotel Leveque <BR>1-47054915 ph <BR>1-45504936 fax