Reasonable Accomodations in Zermatt

Nov 29th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Reasonable Accomodations in Zermatt

I know that this may sound like an impossibility but I'm looking for "relatively" reasonable Summertime (June) accomodations in Zermatt for our family of four (myself, wife and two girls ages 12 and 8) for three nights. We would consider hotels or apartments although they may be hard to find for only three noghts. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Bob in Cincinnati, OH.
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Not everything is closed down in June. You might consider the Hotel Butterfly..a 3 star place.

Helpful if you could define 'reasonable'

You might also try www.rooms.ch to see if any budget level things are available. You could also look on the English version of www.zermatt.ch

Zermatt is not all that big so staying anywhere in the village should be "convenient"
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:38 AM

We rented an incredible luxury apartment at the far end of the village (Winkelmatten) for 3 nights early last July. They allowed a 3-night rental and gave us a great price becusse it was not yet the main season (we were there the first week of July). Two bedrooms, two baths, flatscreen TV with internet connection, espresso maker, 2 balconies, and a straight-on view of the Matterhorn. It cost less that the hotel rooms we had the rest of the trip.

http://www.perren-reinhold.ch/76

It was about a 20-minute walk from the main train station and the grocery store, but there is a mini-mart nearby. And we enjoyed the walk back and forth through the village each day. I highly recommend this place.
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Check out the Hotel Julien. It is a lovely place & had a room that could accomodate the 4 of you
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM

sorry mispelled in previous post

Hotel Julen

http://www.zermatt.ch/julen/e/hotel.html
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM

We really like Casa Vanessa - it's an "apartment/hotel". During the low season they have great rates, because you're not paying for cleaning service or breakfast. Short term stays aren't a problem.
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM

Casa Vanessa is indeed a good choice, if they offer low-season rates. I e-mailed back and forth with them and they were very nice. I changed my dates slightly at their suggestion. but the price offered was double what we ended up paying at Chalet Annabelle.

It's definitely worth a look. so see what rates they offer. The location is very good.
Dec 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM

You might also try the Garni Hotel Daniela. It is also owned by the Julen family. It is less expensive than the Hotel Julen, but you can use the indoor pool/spa of the Hotel Julen for free. The pool is wonderful..Egyptian theme. I have stayed at the Daniela and just made a reservation for next fall. The south facing balconies have a view of the Matterhorn.
Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM

A great hotel deal would be the Testa Grigia which is right in the middle of Banhofstrasse. I like the Butterfly as well, but it might be more expensive.
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM

bookmarking
Dec 12th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Hello Bob,

I believe that I have a great suggestion for you and your family for a resonable apartment in Zermatt this June!

Last year at this time we were in the same situation as you (family of 4 including 2 teenagers aged 14 and 15 looking for resonable apartment in Zermatt in June). It was a tough assignment, but I came across a great apartment run by great people. And we were able to book 3 nights at the end of June! My only caution is to book early!

Artist Apartment:
http://www.artistapartments.ch/

Excellent, spacious, kitchen, clean, new, amazing view of Matterhorn, contempory designed rooms, each features a specific artist. We had the Keith Haring suite.

Cost us about $100 a night for a 2 bedroom apartment. Amazing deal. There was a pretty 5 - 10 minute walk from train station (we used a taxi when we arrived with our luggage). Upon departure the managers took us back (early) without charge. They were GREAT!!!! I can't reccomend the Kunkel's enough. We have been to Zermatt 3 times before and will always use the Artist Apartments in the future.

The Kunzels speak perfect english, are incredibly accomidating, and offer a real bargin (hard to come across in Zermatt int he summer). Only downside that I can think of is that there is a walk up hill from the main village.

The good news is that you will pass our absolute favorite bar/pizza pub called the North Wall Bar. Kids are welcome. It is about a block down the hill from the Artist. We ate there 2 nights in a row. The North Wall is run by a couple of real mountain climbers (each has climbed the Matterhorn - and many other significant peaks arounf the world). The North Wall is their day job so they can live the mountain on a daily manner. The locals all go here. They play amazing videos of their ascents of the Matterhorn, and other exciting Swiss sports. One night, a friend of the owners showed up. He is a Zermatt celebrity. He was a local Zermatt ski olympian who was the village favorite. He and his family are regulars at the North Wall. We spent hours talking to these locals. Our teenager boys were in heaven. I can only imagine your teenage girls reaction to this place!

Here is a site featuring the North Wall:

http://www.ski-zermatt.com/mattnet/p...ient/index.htm

Another fun thing to consider is the Zermatt Forest Fun Park:

http://www.zermatt-fun.ch/picture.html

We had a ball with their version of via ferreta. ANYONE can do it

Check out our pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/jazzdrew

Please do yourself a favor and check these places out. I spent an incredible amount of time researching our holiday in Kandersteg, Zermatt and Munich, and I would'nt stay anywhere else in Zermatt for the money!

Feel free to email me if you have questions. I love talking Switzerland!

[email protected]
Dec 13th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I forgot to mention that the Artist is located across the river from the train station, about a 5 minute walk to the the Schwarzee lift.
Dec 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Here is a neat video of the Fun Park in Zermatt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjMdE-jRXRY
Dec 26th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions, especially the apartments. I didn't realize that there were so many available or that they could be rented for shorter periods of time. I will definitely check them out and will likely choose one for our trip. Sounds like we can save money both on the cost of the accomodation but also on meals.
Thanks again,
Bob in Cincinnati
Dec 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Bob,

We just returned from a one-night stay at the St. Julen. We had a very pretty "suite" with a Matterhorn view and 2 small balconies, 2 double beds, a bathroom with jacuzzi, and another 1/2 bathroom. There is a very nice indoor pool there. I think you could fit your whole family in the suite for 3 nights as you have 2 girls who could share a double. There was a separate toilet by the second sleeping area as well as lots of closet space and a second TV (if your kids need that sort of thing). The room was cozy and completely pine paneled with a dining area but no kitchen. You can do a 1/2 board or not. The breakfast was extensive but I thought dinner was just OK. I'm kind of picky about food...The lobby was a little 60's zebra print and I was a bit nervous at check-in but the rest of the hotel was very nicely done in Alpine style. There was a computer for patron use. In winter a fire burns in the lobby fireplace. Free transfer from the train station.
Dec 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Gruezi--is that the Romantik Hotel Julen? I can't find a "St. Julen" hotel anywhere in Zermatt. The Julen looks lovely---especially the pool---but it would cost this family over CHF 650 a night to stay in a junior suite there. They are much better off in an apartment, and they should be able to find one for a short stay in June, as it is not yet high season.

Bob---the grocery store (we went to the one right close to the train station; I think it was the Coop) is very well-stocked with everything you could want. The produce is especially nice. It is a fun experience to shop and find new things there, or to find a Swiss rendition of your favorites. OUr strategy in Zermatt was to eat lunch "out" since we were always out hiking, and then cook dinner "in". We saved a lot of $$$ that way.
Dec 28th, 2007, 11:34 PM

Enzian,

Yes, it's the Romantik St. Julen as far as I know. I was under the impression they had a children's rate for under 16 but perhaps that doesn't count in the summer. I wouldn't pay 650 for a room there - we paid half of that for a "luxury suite"...

Sounds like they need an apt.

gruezi
Dec 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM

don't know why I added the St to that it is just Hotel Julen...

sorry...

also for around 400 sfr we had the luxury suite and half board for 2 people there...
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Hi Gruezi---you are correct; they do have children's rates, but it is not that much of a reduction. I added up 200 + 200 (for the adults) + 150 + 100 francs to get the 650---and those are low season rates. Half-board is included, so that helps.

When I was planning our family trip last summer, I found the Zermatt hotels to be considerably more expensive than our hotels in Rigi, Wengen, and Mürren. Maybe that was because I insisted on a view of the Matterhorn, I don't know. That is why I turned to looking at apartments. For the apartments, some were still high, but others were very reasonable. Ours was 240 a night for a 2-bdr., 2-bath luxury apartment that slept 6 people. It looks like JazzDrew got a great price on an apartment too.

One just has to keep looking to find the right place at the right price.
Dec 29th, 2007, 10:38 AM

We, a family of 4, stayed at Hotel Butterfly (suggested also by Dukey). It was reasonable by our standards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO