Reload this Page >

Really stupid question about hotel deposit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Mariarosa

I have the stupidest question in the whole world! I am in the process of reserving a hotel in the Dolomites for a week of skiing. I usually make my own hotel bookings, and hotels always ask for a credit card number, but I have never been asked for a deposit. This hotel requires a 20%, payable by credit card or bank transfer. What confuses me is that the quote is in Euros (it's for next year). So if I give them my credit card, will it be charged in Euros or in Liras? Any other words of wisdom about paying a deposit?

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Surlok

Mariarosa, <BR> <BR>Ask the hotel what their cancellation policy is. One never knows... <BR> <BR>I'd also advise, if it is to make the deposit, to use the Credit Card-- it's much safer. I don't know about surcharges and conversion rates in the US, but I always use my credit card to make deposits, although I very much prefer the guarantee. <BR> <BR>Sorry, I don't really know whether it will be charged in Lire or Euro, but I do believe that after January, 1st, it will be in Euro. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>S

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 09:50 AM
meira

Not stupid at all! <BR>It amazes me - I work in a hotel and we only ask for a credit card no. so in case you don't show up and forget to cancel - you will be charged. I would not pay in advance. You will be charged in $ but since most Europe is changing to Euro in January - the Lira will no longer be in use. By the way - just back from France - do not take 100 $ bills with you, as there are many faked bills and they refused in the bank there to change any. <BR>Also here in my hotel (Israel) we do not receive any $100 notes. So be aware.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Christina

It isn't unusual for specialized resort hotels, or small family-run places in resort areas, to require a deposit that you must pay upon booking or at least, some time before arrival. Hotels in cities are not so dependent on special vacationers and so do not (in my experience) charge unless you don't show up without cancelling in their time frame. If you refuse to pay a deposit in a ski resort, you may have trouble getting a room if that's the custom there. My credit cards have been charged in francs (for French charges) up until very recently but I think Euro charges can go through now and have for some time. It doesn't matter, it's the same amount of money only in different denominations.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Mariarosa

Thank you for your reassurement (sp?) and words-of-wisdom. I will e-mail them about cancellation policy and make sure to use a credit card. Christina, it's indeed a small, family-run hotel, and we are going during the high season, it does make sense that they would want a deposit. Thanks!