Really Cheap Glass & Porcelain

Mar 16th, 2000, 07:45 AM
lorri

Really Cheap Glass & Porcelain

I am looking for flea markets where you bring a paper bag and fill it up for a price. Like $10.00 a bag for glassware and porcelain. As long as its pretty and made in france I don't care if its antique. I love pretty glass and would like to bring some French stuff home to give as gifts. Old is beautiful

Mar 16th, 2000, 08:25 AM
lorri

Saw my Post on someone else's message.Weird. I meant to write that I was looking for flea markets in Paris. Something to do on Mon and Tues when the museaums in Paris are closed. I give used(antique)porcelains from countries I visit as gifts when I come home. Much less money than the new stuff and they actually have the countries name on the bottom, which is more than I can say for things purchased in gift shops(made in Japan).

Mar 16th, 2000, 01:32 PM
Carol

Dear Lorri:

Here's a short piece I saved from Concierge.com.

A: Antiquing in Paris? You shouldn't have any trouble. Parisian flea markets (marchés aux puces) are a gold mine of eclectic, one-of-a- kind finds. On any given weekend, there are dozens of markets open around the city — and they're not only of the flea variety. Specialized venues like the marchés aux fleurs (flowers) and marchés aux oiseaux (birds) are open, too, in case you're in the market for more than antiques.

All of the markets are located on the outskirts of Paris, where they were banished to in the late 19th century after the bourgeoisie grew weary of allowing lower-class man to hock their wares within the city's fortifications. They've been out there ever since. It's a long metro ride to all of the markets, but that's the best way to go.

Determining which markets are "better" depends on how you define it. If you're looking for pure size, there's no beating the Marché aux Puces de St-Ouen, located near the Porte de Clignancourt metro stop in the village of St-Ouen. With thousands of stalls stretching across four miles, it's the grand-père of European flea markets, and the oldest such market in Paris. In fact, St-Ouen is actually several flea markets jammed together. Since you're in the market for antique furniture, the sections to visit are Vernaison and Paul Bert — two treasure troves of old wooden tables, mirrored doors, and glass bottles. The stalls stay open from Saturday to Monday, 9 a.m.to 6 p.m., but you'll find the best bargains at the very beginning and end of the day.

Bargain hunters often complain that despite its enormity, the prices at St- Ouen are way too high. The Marché aux Puces de Montreuil (open Saturday-Monday, 7:30 am-5 p.m.) and Marché aux Puces de Vanves (Saturday-Sunday, 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.) are decidedly smaller than St- Ouen, but they tend to have better bargains. Montreuil is best for cool accessories like hats, shoes, and reasonably priced jewelry, as well as funky household decorations like silver decanters and old pillows. Though the Marche de Vanves doesn't have much furniture, you will find plenty of knick-knacks, original artwork, bikes, and old toys. (For Montreuil, take the metro to Porte de Montreiul; for Vanves, the stop is Porte de Vanves.)

Whatever the asking price, be prepared to haggle at every market, including St-Ouen. Haggling is part of the flea market experience, and the vendors expect it. In addition, keep an eye on your purse or backpack: every market is, unfortunately, an open one for pickpockets.

Mar 16th, 2000, 02:23 PM
Carol

Hi Lorri--

I'm back with more suggestions--as you can see I'm a flea market fan myself. The following is my post in response to someone else regarding "brocantes" which are the kind of very neighborhoody flea markets I think you're looking for:

Message: Hi Ross--I just hit a bonanza for us! Go to www.paris-touristoffice.com/going out/events. There is a Search field on that page which has "second-hand market" on its menu. Bingo! Would you believe it's a calendar of scheduled "antiquites/brocantes" throughout Paris this year in different arrondissments.

Mar 17th, 2000, 09:35 AM
elaine

lorri, I don't mean to be picky but all the museums in Paris are not closed on Monday AND Tuesday. Some on one day, some on the other. Plenty of them to see on either day. Or perhaps you already knew that.