Brugges or Liege

Mar 17th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Ross

Brugges or Liege

Hello!

I will be spending 2 1/2 days in Belgium at the beginning of June. I speak French fluently, and am interested in visiting la Wallonie, but have also heard wonderful things about Bruges. Has anyone visited these two cities? Any comment on other Begian cities would be most appreciated as well. I will be based in Brussels during my stay. planned on taking day-trips.

Thanks, Ross.

Mar 17th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Joe

I was in Belgium for a week in the summer of '97. I went to Brugges for the day . I got there, and despite serious jet lag found it a charming and fascinating place - - only wish I'd been more awake. Spent the next day in Brussels, which I liked, and then went to Liege for 5 days to attend a conference. Liege was much the least interesting of the 3. It was mostly rebuilt after the War in concrete and glass and is seriously deficient in charm.

Mar 17th, 2000, 11:12 AM
Myriam

Definitely Brugge. Liege is a dirty city in the middle of heavy industry.

Mar 17th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Cheryl Z.

My vote goes to Brugge. It's wonderful and charming, easy to get around in, great little places for eating/shopping. (Have a strawberry waffle for dessert!) Take a canal trip to more of the guts of the village.

Mar 17th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Marija

Don't even think about Liege. I speak from experience since I spent five days there while my husband was attending a conference... We visited Brugges before the conference and enjoyed it a lot.