Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with airports luggage and number of days!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 03:49 PM
MKS

I am wondering about people's thoughts on the airports in Prague, Rome and Paris? We are planning to fly from the states to Prague with a connection probably in Frankfurt? Have people had good luck with their luggage in all of these airports and their regional airlines (i.e Alitalia, CSA etc.)? I am really worried about my luggage just following me through Europe and never getting to me. But it seems better to fly since we are trying to visit cities that are so far apart to save time and such... Also, does 3 to 3.5 days in Prague, Rome, Paris and London each seem adequate. I would really appreciate any help.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 11:53 PM
Silvia Rotheimer

Hello from Vienna! <BR>Don`t worry, I think your luggage is as safe as in any other airports in the world.We are a very well travelled couple all over the world. We have never lost our luggage for ever. Sometimes for a few days, yes. But never in Europe. I know the airports in Rome, Frankfurt and a lot more in Europe. Enjoy your trip and do not take values in your bags. Take not very special things with you. <BR>Enjoy Europe like we enjoyed all the destinations around the globe! <BR>Silvia

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 06:58 AM
pam

For 14 days you should be able to manage with a carry-on bag and eliminate the worry of lost luggage.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Janice

Absolutely right! You shouldn't need to check luggage for a 2 week trip - you'll save time, money and lots of worry if you just carry on luggage. Rick Steves site, as well as lots of earlier posting on this site, explain how to pack lightly in great detail.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Lori

I'm not sure what airlines you folks fly on but British Airways from LA allows one carry on per person in Coach and it cannot weight more than 13 lbs (or exceed 46 inches all over). Icould not travel for 2 weeks with what would fit into one of their acceptable carry ons. As for airports and transfers, who knows - it works and it doesn't. Always have a change of underwear in your carry-on (and maybe a clean t-shirt). As for adequate time in those cities, if you only want a brief overview it might work OK but if you want to "see things" you need more time than that. I've been to Paris and London dozens of times and still have not seen it all. Remember getting in and out of each city to the airport eats up a good part of your day. Personally I would not try and do that many places in that little amount of time, but it may work for you.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 08:43 AM
pam

Well, I didn't address the part about flying to 4 cities in 2 weeks, but I wouldn't do that either. As far as airlines, I might not fly BA for that reason. BUT I'm willing to bet I could pack for 2 weeks with less than 13 lbs. Last summer I used my soft briefcase (which converts to a backpack) for 15 days. Heck, you can always wear 4 or 5 layers onto the plane and have a virtually empty bag.... Try it--you'll like it. Light packers of the world unite!

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 10:54 AM
MKS

Everyone keeps writing that 4 cities in two weeks is not such a good idea, but no one has helped with any alternatives. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 01:32 PM
pam

MKS, <BR>OOps...sorry 'bout that. 3.5 days is not enough, in my mind, to get a good taste of any of the cities you named. You'll have to get yourself oriented and then it'll be time to leave. And the to & fro airport will take a lot of time. I'd recommend you concentrate on one city & its environs at a time; two max. There is much to see outside each of the cities you name. Plus the 'immersion method' means you get a better experience in each place (and you don't have to do the 'if this is Tuesday we must be in _____' thing. Take your time and savor it--Europe is not going anywhere. My first trip to Europe was 9 weeks, summer of '85, and it was a whirlwind but good overview. You just get to figuring out how things work, where you are, and feeling comfortable, and then you have to move on. I knew after that, that any future trips for me would be concentrating on one area at a time. Last summer we spent 15 days in Rome, Orvieto, Florence and Siena, for example. Feel free to email me privately if you would like to.