Is EuroDisney a good option ?

Mar 16th, 2000, 05:03 AM
claudia

Is EuroDisney a good option ?

IŽve never benn in Disney in USA .
IŽll be in France for 10 days next april.
Is a good option spend a day in EuroDisney ?

Thanks

Cláudia

Mar 16th, 2000, 05:32 AM
the turnip

If you have the chance to see one of the Disney's in the USA do that. EuroDisney is fun, but unless you're a serious Disney buff I'd say spend your time seeing things you can't see here in the US.

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 16th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Rex

If you're traveling with kids (age 6-16), it might be good to have a "break" day from museums, cathedrals and castles.

But I agree with Turnip - - do something you can't do here in the U.S. (assuming you ARE from the U.S.) - - a nice alternative is Parc Asterix, about the same distance from Paris city center.

Best wishes,

Rex
www.allexperts.com

Mar 16th, 2000, 07:47 AM
ellie

We spent a day at EuroDisney 5 years ago in April with our then 13 year old son. I have to admit we felt a bit foolish about it at the time - especially as we had been to both Disney parks in the US - but, in the end, we had an awful lot of fun. It was freezing cold and the "cast members" manning pretty much the same attractions you see at the US sites were wearing enormous long fur coats.
Our son got an enormous kick out of being able to go on certain rides over and over as the place was more or less deserted (I think we must have visited on a weekday). The train ride out was interesting as it gave us a small glimpse of everyday life just outside of Paris and, as the last poster mentioned, it came as a welcome break from the "important" sightseeing we were doing in Paris.
When our "EuroDisney" t shirts and christmas ornaments make an appearance these several years later, they never fail to evoke smiles as we recall that silly day when we chose to go visit Mickey and Minnie instead of Versailles!

Mar 16th, 2000, 01:24 PM
lola

My strong opinion is when in France do as the Gallic people do, and avoid Disney. It suffuses and oversimplifies enough of our US culture, and is one of the reasons that I seek refuge in the older, grittier realities of Europe. Ten days is hardly enough time to see much of France. Why squander it on something that is bigger and better in Orlando?

Mar 16th, 2000, 03:01 PM
Louis

Claudia,
Have to agree with Lola. Unless you have young children I don't see much purpose in going to EuroDisney.

I studied architecture in France through a US university program twice and went to a lot of places that will put EuroDisney out to pasture. Why don't you try a day trip to Verailles? The gradens alone are worth the trip. Once inside the palace you'll be amazed by the Baroque opulence. Or how about an overnight trip to St. Malo? You can take an early morning train there from Paris, see the walled city, and then rent a car and drive to Mont St Michel. Spend the night on the "island" during high tide, if you can. It's unforgetable.

These are just two of hundreds of places in France that make EuroDisney kind of a waste of time - unless, as I said before, you have children with you.

Mar 18th, 2000, 01:34 AM
John

If you don't mind high prices and extremely long lines, then go ahead. I went recently on free tickets and could not wait to leave. They are very understaffed so the park is dirty and why take away a good day of travel in Europe to see something that you can see at home. There will be enough time to see American things after your ten days. If you want a break from museums, why not take the kids to a park such as the Luxembourg or La Villette. Also, don't forget about the high prices for food at EuroDisney. Even at those high prices, I had was violently ill from something I ate there.