Re: Paris Opera and French Trains

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Paris W/ family last week March. I noticed that Paris Opera is performing Marriage of Figaro that week. I'd love to see that! But, alas, their website says no more tix are available. Does anyone know any other options to try to get such tickets, or other good arts options that week?

Second Question: We intend on making a side trip to Brugge, Bel. When I visited a RailEurope website, the posted fares looked awfully expensive and they were only for trains with reserved seats. My recollection of Europe (I visited there once in the 60's ) was that you could pay lots of cash for a reserved seat on a TEE train or pay less on an unreserved "local" train, accepting a bit slower journey. Is this still true? Should I delay purchasing the tix until we get there? Our itinerary is very flexible and won't mind unexpected delays. Does anyone have experience navigating the French rail system?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:33 AM

The French rail system website is www.sncf.com. It's not entirely intuitive, but it works. You should be able to get information on all trains between Paris and Brugge there. Ihave no idea what a TEE train is, but you will almost certainly get a variety of fare options.

Not sure about Opéra tickets, but I'm pretty confident I've read about people going to the ticket window an hour orso before the show and getting last-minute tickets.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:47 AM

As for opera tickets, send an email to your hotel and ask if they can get tickets for you. Give them specific performance dates and times.

Last November, the concierge at our hotel was able to get tickets for sold out performances at the Palais Garnier.

Woody
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

TransEuropean Express - like an IC train. Let me rephrase my question: Given that our itinerary is flexible, is there any advantage to using the snfc prior to departing for Paris, or should we just buy unreserved tickets when we are ready for travel?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:06 AM

Try sncf.com for the Paris-Brugge tickets. You can purchase Thalys train tickets there. Thalys is a high speed train which is comparable to the ICE train (?). I'd prefer to buy the train tickets ahead of time so you're sure you get seats. It takes approximately a little over two hours from Paris to Brugge on Thalys.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM

Check to see if you can get reduced price tickets by buying them ahead of time on the SNCF web site. However, they will be non-refundable and probably will not take you to Bruges. So you would have to check if there is an easy and short connection to Bruges. I know by experience that Calais is out of the question, but others might know if Brussels is a possibility.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:19 AM

You can find Thalys journeys that take you directly to Brugge. There are other Thalys trains that go directly to Brugge but make stops in Brussels and Ghent.

Btw, when you search for journeys on sncf.fr be sure to spell the city name as "Bruges" (French) and not "Brugge".
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM

Yes, there might definitely be an advantage to buying them ahead of time - such as discounts offered on www.sncf.com that you won't get at the station.

Also, depending on what day you're traveling, it might be advantageous to have the tickets ahead of time - for example, if you're traveling over a holiday or school vacation.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM

I find myself in the same boat as the OP regarding opera tickets. Any answer to that question? (if my hotel can't help Thanks.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Definitely purchase train tickets through the SNCF Web site. The Rail Europe prices include a substantial markup. I'm not sure about a reserved seat versus non-reserved differential. If there is one, its very small.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:57 AM

Have you tried using a ticket agency for the opera such as www.divento.com?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:10 AM
cpd

Last check Divento did have opera tickets for my visit on opening night. However the upcharge was substantial (I don't remember exactly how much but I recall almost double price). It might have been so steep because of opening night. Anyway, since I only need one ticket I decided to wait and try the ticket office on arrival. If I needed several tickets though I would try more options before going.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the info. Intrepid, I haven't yet, but wil try that link.

If I am unsuccessful in securing a ticket in advance, how far in advance do you recommend visiting the box office on the day of the performance?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:05 AM

BTW, can someone direct me to an online seating chart of at least the sections? Thanks again.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Opera ticket options are the same as anywhere, if they are sold out online -- concierge, ticket brokers, etc. -- which will probably cost you a lot. You can't get face value tickets to sold-out performances, I suspect. Sometimes they do have some at the box office when it says none online, but in my experience, that's usually some glitch or issue with them not selling certain kinds online, rather than it being very popular, sold out performances.

There is no online website with a seating chart for Garnier with actuall row and seat numbers on it. The one with sections is on their website, but you can probably find it elsewhere if you just type garnier and "seating chart" into Google (I have before).
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Thanks. Actually, I did a google search and a prior post of yours came up with the most information!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Christina, how about a hint! I have searched the official website and, even though the section/seating chart may be staring me in the face, I can't find it. Nor have multiple google searches been fruitful. I appreciate your help.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Wrote about it here extensively and linked it to the Superthread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34589875

That ST has some useful stuff in it. Unfortunately I can't bring myself to update it anymore.

Have fun!

P.S. Now if someone else has experience with Chatelet I'd love to hear it. I don't see any responses to my question from yesterday.

Thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the info, 111op.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Over the years, and at many opera houses, we've had the best luck by going to the box office as soon as we arrive in the city. We have always been able to get a ticket for at least one of the nights and always the seats were good. We've looked at many websites for this upcoming trip and have decided not to even try to book in advance. The information on the websites can be confusing. May be that we won't have luck, but then again...