Ravenna Lovers -- Plan my day trip

Old May 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Neopolitan

Ravenna Lovers -- Plan my day trip

We're planning to do a day trip from Venice to Ravenna -- that's all I can allow.
We will be going by train and have about 7 hours there.
Help me plan our day for the most impressive sites (and a good lunch place would be nice too).

Old May 6th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neo, I just spent a lot of time giving you my thoughts on Ravenna and what you would probably enjoy.

For the second time today when I went to post, half of my paragraphs were missing. The other paragraphs were all "jumbled up". A Fodor's glitch I can only assume. I am so frustrated!!

So rather than retyping everything now I will repost tomorrow when hopefully Fodor's is working properly. CinCin!
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Neopolitan

I lood forward to your post, LoveItaly. I know Ravenna is a favorite of yours. And it remains one of those places we seem to have always opted out of when it was just sort of "out of the way" for our plans.

Old May 7th, 2006, 06:24 AM

LoveItaly,

Eager for your new post..we will have a day and night in Ravenna, first visit to the city, and are looking for hotel and restaurant suggestions...thanks Neo for sharing..
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Look forward to it as well, we will be spending the day there in early July.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Ravenna is such a nice spot. It's very pedestrian friendly. There are several important Byzantine buildings to see. Chief among them (in my view) is San Vitale, home to some very fine mosaics, including one of the emperor Justinian and another of the empress Theodora on either side of the main altar. The mosaics in the sanctuary area near the altar are 6th c AD; the paintings in the dome are much later and aren't original to the building. Right behind San Vitale is the little "Mausoleum of Galla Placidia" (so-called) which has extraordinary mosaics also. On your way out of the "Mausoleum," look in particular at the Good Shepherd mosaic above the door, which is very famous and appears in just about every art history survey textbook (as do the Justinian and Theodora mosaics). Mosaics are definitely the stars of the Ravenna monuments.

Elsewhere there are two baptisteries: the Arian Baptistery and the Neonian baptistery, both with mosaic decoration. You may want to read up a bit on the time period and the religious discussions going on at the time, as the decoration of these and other monuments in Ravenna was influenced by the political and theological goings-on. This is the period when ecumenical councils were discussing the finer points of Church theology and attempting to stamp out heresies (like the Arian movement). So the historical context is as fascinating as the art itself.

There is a small but nice museum whose name escapes me. The Archepiscopal Museum??

The church of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, very nice, is not far from the train station. The church of Sant'Apollinare in Classe can be reached from a short bus ride (I didn't go here, ran out of time). Mosaics in most of these places date from the 6th c AD, when Ravenna was capital in place of Rome.

You can buy a combo ticket that, if memory serves, covers all these sites. The tourist office has some good information, free map, etc.

I noticed a lot of locals biking around and wondered if there was someplace to rent a bike. That'd be fun.

I didn't have a sit-down lunch, so I can't recommend any restaurants. I got a panino at a bar and ate outside someplace. There are several shops that were nice. I saw a big covered food market too, but didn't go inside. I didn't have as much time as you are going to have and was focused on the monuments.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM

DejaVu,

Thank you so much....I have printed and put aside for our trip!
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM

I too am saving your tips, Deja. Thanks. Are there any good swimming beaches in this area?
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:30 AM

ttt
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Can't swim, so can't comment on beaches. Sorry!!
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Well last night was not my best night, I nearly cut off the back side of my left index finger..so typing is difficut. That was after my long post to you Neo was messed up by Fodor's.

DejaVu has given some fantastic information for all of you. So I won't repeat it.

Two additional thoughts though. The tomb of Dante is in the historical center of Ravenna and is always touching to visit.

The "outdoor living room" of Ravenna is the Piazza Del Popolo, the Piazza of the people, and it truly is. The Piazza is surrounded by medieval buildings. There are several outdoor cafes. Whether you have a bite to eat in the Piazza or just a drink do take some time to stop and enjoy seeing the residents of Ravenna enjoying their Piazza. Late afternoon is especially fun.

Tomb of Dante (Tomba di Dante)is just a couple of blocks south of the Piazza.

If you consider the Piazza Della Popolo the center of the historical center you will find that the various sites (that DejaVu described) radiates out from the Piazza along streets that are very easy to walk on. Ravenna is an easy city to walk around in. There is a very old "leaning tower" also..again in the historical center which is interesting to see.

The Museum I think is named the Museo Nazlonale..but there may be another museum also.

About bike rentals. You certainly see lots of people riding bikes in Ravenna and I would think there is somewhere a visitor could rent a bike but I don't know for sure. For you bike riders it would be good to check into as like walking Ravenna is an easy place to enjoy biking obviously.

Regarding beaches..I haven't spent time on the beaches along the coastline but the beaches at the Marina di Ravenna have a reputation of being beautiful. I "think" that is about 15 minutes from the historic center. I don't know if there is bus service for the beach or not but there probably is.

The residents of Ravenna are very welcoming and the food is wonderful. As I mentioned to Maire in her thread I know how to walk to restaurants I have loved but I don't remember the names of them. But in that I have always discovered restaurants in Ravenna without once having a mediocre meal I think you will all enjoy eating in Ravenna. You will be in the region of Emila Romagna afterall..always praised for it's food!

My finger is really hurting so I will stop typing. If I think of anything else I will post back on this thread.

Will all of you please think of me for a momentg while you are in Ravenna. I truly have left part of my heart there. Often in the morning while having my coffee I find myself wishing I was in the Piazza Del Popolo enjoying my morning double esspresso while watching Ravenna also wake up. A peaceful way to begin ones day.
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM

I've visited Ravenna in 2001, also from Padova, by train. I don't know if things have got better with italian trains, but I ended up having only 3 hours to visit the town, which I regret because it is such a great place. So first, be aware that trains not always run on time, especially if you're counting on combinations.
Back then there was a combined ticket that covered most of the important places; the people at the tourist office were very helpful, they marked a walking tour for me on the spot. I think it is a good idea to stop by and ask for their advice.
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Thank you for the information, LoveItaly and Eze. Love, so sorry about your finger; I hope it's ok.
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:29 PM

We had a nice lunch at La Gardela (4 people, 71 euros, including wine). I don't have the address, but you can find it in Rick Steves. The two things I remember most (apart from the good food) were that the guy sitting next to us (alone) talked to himself the whole time. And everyone else was watching motorcycle races on the TV.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM

LoveItaly,

That will be me, sitting in the middle of the Piazza, falling in love with Ravenna and....thinking of you! Thanks for the information.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Neopolitan

Ah a wealth of information. Sounds like a great day to me.

Incidentally the trains to and from Venice S.L take just under 3 hours each way with a half hour for the change in Ferrara. Some good relaxation time going both ways, I figure.

Old May 7th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Oh Traviata, I wish I could treat you to a drink!!!

BTW, I forgot to answer your question.
Have always stayed at the Argentario Hotel which is located on Via Di Roma. Via Di Roma is just a couple of blocks east of the Piazza. It is not a luxery hotel but a very pleasant comfortable hotel with a lovely staff. They even taught me some Italian words while treating us to a Campari one time. Do note, the rooms are small and the showers are typical Italian style ones, not grand but always have had plenty of hot water. The location is perfect as you can walk everywhere which is so nice. You don't need to use a car in Ravenna even if you have one else you stay to far from the historical center. There are parking lots in Ravenna btw.

Thanks Maire, I put four bandages on my finger last night. Should have gotten stiches but would have had to go to emergency and didn't want to do that. The reason is the hospital is just a few blocks from me. I heard sirens constantly from later afternoon on through midnight. People overcelebrating Cinco De Mayo I believe. So didn't want to sit there for hours with drunks etc. My finger really hurts and I am afraid of removing the bandages..will wait until tomorrow morning when my Dr's office is open in case I need to see her.

BTW, just one block south of the Piazza and about four blocks east of the Piazza is a church..St John's I believe. There is a lovely little park next to the church. And on the south end of Via Di Roma is a church, actually a basilica I believe, with a park behind it..for anyone that just wants to rest amongs some greenery for awhile or even have a picnic lunch.

Patrick, three hours is indeed a nice amount of time for a train trip. I have encountered trains being late (very late) coming into Florence but I have never had a train being late leaving Venice. I truly hope you enjoy Ravenna, the fantastic mosaics, the interesting streets and shops, the food etc. as much as I always have.

It will be fun to read all of your trip reports and your different impressions of Ravenna! My heart will be with all of you!!
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:46 PM

LoveItaly,

Thank you...maybe one day we will meet in Ravenna and toast one another!! I appreciate the hotel name...this being our first visit there, I always like a personal recommendation.....I do hope your finger heals soon..
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:56 PM

We also ate outside at La Gardela (based on Osterie d'Italia listing) and had a great meal. It was very full on a Sunday afternoon and we were glad that we had reserved a table, since people were being turned away.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Carmen and Marija,

Now I have my restaurant thanks to the two of you...and I will make a reservation...!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -