Ravello for a month

Search

Ravello for a month

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ravello for a month

I am considering renting a villa for a month- the last 2 weeks in March and 1st 2 in April. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience living in Ravello. Will we have enought to do in Ravello for a month? Will we need a car? How bad is the drive up into Ravello? What do you love about Ravello? Restaurant recommendations? Sightseeing? Great things not to miss????
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM

We rented a great house in Ravello for a week in mid May 2005. We had plenty to do for a week, but we enjoyed reading and relaxing at our villa. Whether or not you would find enough to do for a month depends on what interests you. The views are spectacular, and we loved the Villa Cimbrone.

We drove to Ravello from Rome. Our house was just next to the Villa Cimbrone, and a long way from anyplace to park. Getting our luggage to the house was an interesting challenge. We must have ended up parking a good half mile away in a free spot. We only used our car one time during the week, to make a day trip to Mt. Vesuvius. My husband-- who is an experienced driver in Europe-- didn't want to drive on the small cliffside roads to get to the other towns/villages on the Amalfi Coast. We did some walking and rode some buses.

If you are a hiker, you can walk down to Amalfi or across to Pontone. The bus schedules require some patience and courage, but you could reach other towns/villages by bus. From Amalfi you can take a ferry to Capri. It would be worth it to stay overnight on Capri, I think.

There are several very good restaurants in Ravello, though I don't know about schedules at the time of year you are planning. There are a few small shops to buy your own provisions. We hiked across to a great pizzeria/restaurant in Pontone.

I'm really uncertain about what Ravello would be like at the time of year you plan to visit... hopefully someone else will have some info.

Some resources for you:

Our blog of our week in Ravello: http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/kaydee/...es/000870.html

Photos from our week: http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3880

Photos from the Villa Cimbrone: http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3585

Good luck in making your decision!

Kathy
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:19 AM

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but we regretted staying as long as 4 nights in Ravello. It's extremely quiet - and we are quite lazy travellers & certainly don't rush round sightseeing every day. There are only really 2 'sights', the 2 famous gardens. And if you want to visit other places on the coast & the islands, it's not the most convenient starting point. Although the drive uyp isn't bad - about 20 minutes in a taxi from Amalfi.

Also, I found it a bit cold - in June !! - during the evening and in the shade during the daytime, presumably since it is so high up. (We went on to stay in Amalfi & it was very hot.) It was too cold to sit out for long over pre-dinner drinks. I think the weather will be very uncertain in March/April.

Is there a reason you want to stay in Ravello in particular ?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:29 AM
ira

Hi B,

I think a month in Ravello that early in the season is 3 weeks and 4 days too long.

Are you planning to explore the South of Italy?

Have you considered 2 weeks on the AC and 2 weeks in Sicily?

Have you thought about splitting your 4 weeks up into a week in each of four parts of Italy?

Have you been to Italy before?

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Hi Barb,

I had the same thought as Ira, I would not want to spend that long in Ravello, especially during that time of year.

It's not the most convenient place to use as a base for exploring the Amalfi Coast and south.

My questions also, have you been there before and what did you want to do during this month?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Hi Barb - Like Caroline I wouldn't want to be a wet blanket - but ...

I can happily spend a week or more in Positano - but a day in Ravello is enough for me.

Steve