Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rapid Antigen Test from Italy to the U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any firsthand experience with the timing of the above? I read that Delta will accept the rapid antigen test to return from Italy within a three day timeframe. Here in Italy they are saying it has to be 48 hours fir the rapid test. Given our experience on the way here to Italy which was a ball of confusion at the airport, I’m not sure what information is accurate on the timing. We leave Tuesday and may just get another test Monday morning to be safe. Thanks all.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 08:43 AM

From everything I have read it is 3 days before US entry/arrival; we are leaving out of Naples airport at 6 a.m. so will be bringing the eMed/Abbot tests with Telehealth and do the test from our lodging 24-48 hours before our flight, taking two extra tests along in case we have to repeat due to delays, etc. But we are traveling out on KLM and back on Air France, so will see how the airlines manage it.

I've read that Delta is pretty clear/transparent about this so their website should have up-to-date info.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mikster
Anyone have any firsthand experience with the timing of the above? I read that Delta will accept the rapid antigen test to return from Italy within a three day timeframe. Here in Italy they are saying it has to be 48 hours fir the rapid test. Given our experience on the way here to Italy which was a ball of confusion at the airport, I’m not sure what information is accurate on the timing. We leave Tuesday and may just get another test Monday morning to be safe. Thanks all.
From what I understand the RAT antigen test is 48hrs and RT-PCR 72 hrs before travel. This is what Air France told me, though you may want to check with your airline. Some countries insist on the PCR, though the US accepts the rapid test.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. The airline is not all that helpful. It says three days from departure on their website for the rapid test but the test I took says it’s valid for 48 hours but they also said that means it’s valid for Rome activity for 48 hours and probably okay for my flight if the website says I can take it three days ahead. I’m just going to take another test the day before unless I find someone who has already done it. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 01:29 PM
mjs

It’s a CDC requirement not an airline requirement for COVID testing before entering the US. Check the CDC webpage for complete information
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 08:58 PM

It’s 3 calendar days prior to the day you board your flight. Makes no difference if it’s rapid antigen or PCR. So e.g. your flight is on a Friday at 11:58 pm, you can take your test as early as that previous Tuesday at 12:01 am. I just returned from Italy a couple of weeks back. My flight to the US was on a Sunday. I took a rapid antigen test Thursday morning in Palermo. And my flight was an Air France from Paris to Minneapolis. So in my opinion, take the rapid antigen so you can get your negative results and get on with enjoying the rest of your trip.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Minnbeef. We took it yesterday, Saturday, for Tuesday flight. By chance did your rapid test also indicate that it was good fir 48 hours on it?
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikster
Thank you Minnbeef. We took it yesterday, Saturday, for Tuesday flight. By chance did your rapid test also indicate that it was good fir 48 hours on it?
I don’t recall as I threw the paperwork away after I got home. But unless your flight to the US gets delayed, you should be fine.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 08:15 PM

The rapid test is good for 48 hours for Italian Green Pass purposes (i.e. you could use this result to go into a restaurant or museum without using her CDC vaccine card). Our daughter, while visiting us here in Italy, got an actual Green Pass QR code from Italy when she did the rapid test at a local pharmacy (which she took to return to the US on Delta). The Green Pass does expire after 48 hours but has no impact on re-entry requirements for US. The actual negative test result was good for three days for purposes of returning to the US.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Whitehall. So we took our test Saturday and our flight is at 1 PM tomorrow which is Tuesday. So unless our flight was delayed to after midnight Tuesday we should be fine is what it sounds like to me. I think I will then just leave it be. I know I’m over working it after seeing some people not able to board in the way here because of a misinterpretation of the rules I’m paranoid. Can you tell? 😀 Thank you all.