Search

Rant or Rave

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 02:54 AM
David

Rant or Rave

Before my trip I found the Fodors Travel Talk Forum.I received mostly useable info except when it came to restaurants.The Rant or Rave section would have been more help except nobody uses the section.For a forum with so many questions and answers I am surprised more don't take the time to review helpful restaurant and hotel info.I just used the Rant and Rave Forum and reviewed the restaurants and hotels I visited.It took very little time to register and most of the restaurants and hotels were listed.I hope people are aware of this part of The Travel Talk Forum and start using it as much as the message and response threads. <BR>Thanks,David

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 03:24 AM
Rex

Some of the rest of "us" are surprised too - - both at what (little?) use gets made of it - - but also at how constraining it is - - too few choices, and no opportunity to add a city not listed there - - nor additional hotels and restaurants for the cities that ARE listed there. <BR> <BR>Discussed a certain amount on this recent message thread: <BR> <BR>"anyone out there rate hotels/restaurants in 'rants and raves' section?" <BR> <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...messagesframe& <BR> <BR>with a few people, including myself, promising to try to use it more - - though I have mixed feelings about posting if my trip was not recent. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 04:27 AM
sam

I just returned from France last week and filled out my reviews in Rants and Raves.I too find the R&R under used and wished others used it more frequent.As the previous posters mentioned that not all places are listed I still found many to review.Also,over 100 threads are answered on a daily basis yet some R&R cities/areas have no or only a handful of reviewers.I think or hope that it will be more used in the future to help others who travel.Thanks for listening to my rant,sam

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:07 AM
s.fowler

I did do hotel and restaurants for our recent trip to A'dam. The problem is, as people have mnetioned, that the selection is limited. [Well -- that's what Fodor's does -- selects a few good spots etc...] My main problem is how long it takes on my 56k modem that never works above 38k [*sighs*] -- the pages take too %^$& to load when you finish and then want to start another one -- and you have to do a lot of backpedaling to get back to the main page for your topic.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:16 AM
Diane

I used R&R as much as I could, although only one of "our" hotels was listed, and just a handful of restaurants. For example, nothing seems to be noted for Verona, and next to nothing for Orvieto. It would be helpful to break up the Amalfi Coast by major towns, etc. However since there are SO MANY restaurants and hotels in Italy (or any of the other countries, for that matter) your best bet for individual recommendations is going to be a search on the forum for "Verona restaurants" or a similar request.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:52 AM
Ann

The rant and rave section is too limited. I will be able to contribute nothing after our next trip to France, to Biarritz and La Rochelle. Nor is it easy to use, say, if you want to find out which restaurants might be recommended for a particular town. Some of the areas such as Ile de France are very widespread.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 10:08 AM
Gerry

None of the hotels or resturants I used on my trip to Italy are listed on Rants and Raves. Reviews of the places in Rants and Raves seem too few and inconsistent to be reliable.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 01:09 PM
Tina

Fodors is the biggest and most extensive travel book in use.Many of us use the book to help with making hotel,restaurant ,shopping and site location choices.So when some of you suggest that the Rant/Rave section doesn't list hotels or restaurants that most of us visit,I think your in the minority.I use it just like the travel book except I look for more personal comments.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 01:47 PM
Rosenatti

It would be terrific if Fodors.com could add an auxilary section at the end of its official list of hotels in each country/city where people could add "unofficial" hotels and restaurants and then rant & rave about them, don't you think? Maybe I'll e-mail them and suggest it...

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 02:47 PM
Meg

Right on for the "Auxiliary" section! I think it would be beneficial to Fodor's as well as the rest of us.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 08:43 AM
Patrick

I'm starting my research for my Paris trip in Oct. and checked out the Rant and Rave area to get some hotel reviews.It seems to have improved.Many more responses then the last time I was planning a trip.About an auxilary section I agree but there are most of the hotels and restaurants I would choose listed.I will review my selections when I return.I hope others will do the same because it can be most helpful in making important choices.Thanks So Much,Patrick

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:23 PM
xxxxx

It's time to Rant and Rave!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:57 PM
fiona

I agree with many of the others. I have tried to use the rants and raves but have found none of my fav restaurants mentioned. There should be a "viewers choice" where we can add our own choice- after all WE are the consumers!! Come on Fodors, let us have some say!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Sherri

I agree that it's about time Fodors gave us a section to add to the list of hotels and restaurants.In the meantime how about just adding your comments in the established list.When people read the various listing they will also read the names and places you add.Just a thought.The Rants & Raves section could be a great tool.I hope more use it.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 03:30 PM
JOdy

Aanothervote for an auxilary section, even some of the hotels listed in Fodors "Hotels in Paris " aren;t listed in rants and Raves. I tried to do my part the other day and went in amd reviewed every place we have visited in London and Paris, there were not that many. Most of our favorites aren't there. Of course we have stayed at the same hotel in London for years, and the one we usually stay at in Paris is not there, neither is the new one we are trying this year, thanks to fellow fodorites recommendations.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 01:31 PM
chico

to the top

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
loudmouth

ALL RANTERS & RAVERS!!! Share your experiences & opinions on the R or R section of this website.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Lynlor

Just buy a Red Michelin book. For each country there are thousands of entries and they are very reliable. In MHO their ratings are much better than most that I have seen posted on Fodors.