Reload this Page >

Rainproof jacket

Search

Rainproof jacket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Leslie

Rainproof jacket

Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight rainproof jacket? Where to buy? Price?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Leslie

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:15 PM
sandra

Leslie - I have a GoreTEx jacket that my hubby bought from LL Bean. It's light weight, with a hood and it's rainproof. It's just a simple style and I think it costs around $99.00. I recommend it - I've used it touring Ireland and for hiking and biking. You can get it online.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Nell

At Target: Waterproof jacket $25.00, blue, yellow, red with hood (unisex).

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Jane

Not a specific jacket, but a couple of places to look:<BR>* www.sierratradingpost.com -- Great deals on overstocks from popular manufacturers<BR><BR>* www.rei.com -- Their name-brand stuff isn't cheap, but they have their own REI-brand merchandise that's less expensive and excellent quality. I bought a Gore-Tex jacket there for a trip to Ireland last year; paid less than $100.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:33 PM
snorkelman

Go to K-Mart, Wal-Mart or Old Navy and pick up a cheap windbreaker for $10. then get some waterproof spray such as Kiwi Camp Dry. I got this stuff at Wal-Mart for about 1/2 of the price that they charged for Scotch or 3M. Anyway, the Kiwi stuff was real good. Make sure to spray your jacket several times and it will be waterproof.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:42 PM
jpm

On the same note, I would like to find a rainproof jacket that has tons of zippered pockets on the inside. <BR><BR>Every trip I come back saying I am going to find a jacket like that. I've been tempted to buy a fisherman's vest to wear under a jacket.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:52 PM
kathy

Lands End carries men's and women's Gore Tex lightweight jackets. Wore mine in Ireland with a sweater underneath and wasn't cold or wet. Has a large inside pocket.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:54 PM
evelyntrav

Some websites (all with .com): campmor, rei, landsend, patagonia, columbia, sportif, llbean, travelsmith.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Rita Jones

Hi I bought mine at Target too, they are blue, yellow or red, not all at once. Pockets too. They are fine but not dressy, but do you mean dressy or casual? I wouldn't wear it for dinner in a nice place but for daytime wear it is fine.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:21 PM
lisa

When I was shopping for one, I found that most jackets are water-resistant, not waterproof. I ended up buying one of each. The water-resistant one is a little dressier -- a lightweight, three-quarter length grey microfiber by Jones New York, which I got on sale at Nordstrom for around $100. It's very versatile and I wear it quite a bit and bring it when I'm doing "city travel." It is fine for the occasional shower or drizzle. The waterproof one is more casual, has a hood, and is made to really keep you dry in a downpour when you're exposed to the elements (e.g. hiking). It is made of fabric that "breathes" even though it is waterproof, which is a great quality in a rain jacket, especially when you're in a rainforest or other warm, humid climate. I love to bring it when travelling because it folds up into a tiny pocket and has a little clip that can attach it to a belt loop, luggage handle, etc. when folded up and not in use. It was very inexpensive (I think around $40?) and I got it at Great Outdoors in NC. Both of these have served me well for the past 2-3 years.<BR><BR>London Fog also makes very good ones but they can be pricey.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Sue

Nordstrom has a couple really nice water-resistant coats and jackets. I bought the long one and it is so so elegant. Doesn't fold up as tiny as I would have liked though.<BR><BR>If it was raining so hard that I needed a water-proof jacket I wouldn't go outside so I can't help you there.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Bob Brown

I have a Gore Tex jacket from L. L. Bean.<BR>If I had to get one today, I would to a Bass Proshop (there are about 14 of them around -- Baltimore area, Charlotte, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, Nasville and others).<BR>They carry several national brands as well as their own "house brand". I would ask the clerks the question point blank: what is your best rainproof jacket?<BR><BR>I would think Gore Tex is still the leader but the stuff can be expensive.<BR>There are some treated nylon blends like Supplex that might do the job.<BR>If you plan on being in a tough environment, you are goint to need rain pants, too.<BR>If you get one that does not breathe, however, you will be drowned in your own body moisture. That is the trick to these expensive garments: They keep the rain out, but let some of the body's moisture escape to the outside.<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:36 PM
mike

I found a jacket in London in January which I have never seen in the US, although I am told they can be purchased on the east coast. The name is a Oxford, cotton material rubbed down with a wax. (It comes with a extra can of wax). A lining can be purchased for it. The rain just runs off. It is light weight and packs easy. Cost was 125.00 with liner on sale.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Marc David Miller

Mike is probably referring to a Barbour jacket (or a knock-off--$125 is VERY cheap for such a jacket). I've had mine for about eight years, wear it in anything from 80 (and rain) down to freezing. You could hold a fire hose up to it and it wouldn't leak. <BR><BR>Brits wear these things for activities ranging from duck hunting to opera. One of the best features are the giant pockets, designed for game but useful also for books, a laptop(!), etc.<BR><BR>Orvis and Upland Trading (NYC) carry these; for a longer model (which you can wear with a suit jackeet) the cost is about $300, prices are about 30% less in London.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:11 PM
John

I just purchased a "Rainlight" waterproof, breathable light weight raincoat, with roll-out hood from TravelSmith. At the time, it was on sale for $59, regularly $74. The ad says "As light as Gore-Tex but as a fraction of the cost"--who says we're influenced by advertising?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Mike

Marc: Thanks for the information on the jacket. When I get home tonight I am going to check the jacket. I do remember the jacket with large pockets and one with snaps in the back to hid game.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Leslie

Orvis is online, and you can also order their merchandise via catalog too. Excellent return and warranty policies. There's one across the street from where I live and the manager tells me that when someone brings in a coat to be repaired (even if it is years old), that the store usually just gives the consumer a new replacement. Some consumers complain, as they have "broken in" their jackets, and just want them fixed. Orvis is pricy, but because of the policies, its worth the extra money.