Notices

Rail travel-Florence to Nice

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Anthony

Rail travel-Florence to Nice

Would like to know length of train trip, anything on frequency of schedule; what kind of ticket to buy for comfortable travel, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 10:32 AM
lisa

Anthony -- It has been years since I took this particular train, and I did it in the other direction (from Nice to Florence), but the scenery was GLORIOUS along the French & Italian coast looking out over the Mediterranean. Make sure you sit on the correct side of the train so that you get the view (if you're going to Nice, heading west, this means you want to sit on the left side of the train). We just had a regular 2nd class railpass and don't remember anything particularly remarkable about the train either pro or con -- seems like it was fine -- what we remember are the views. Ahh.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Anthony

Lisa,

Thanks-do you recall approximate time it took to train from Florence to Nice??

If you require any info on Provence please call on me.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 11:08 AM
elvira

Italian train site for info:
http://www.fs-on-line.com/eng/index.htm
It's "Firenze" and "Nice Ville" for schedule search..hit the arrow to see Ventimiglia>Nice train ti

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Vicki

I took the train from Nice to Florence last summer and I recall that it took 6 or 8 hours. Frequency was pretty good, but some of the trips were quite alot longer than others due to the number of stops along the way. I had a 1st class rail pass and was grateful. It was very comfortable and the 2nd class cars were packed. And, yes the scenery was beautiful.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 08:38 PM
Dave

Took train from Monte Carlo to Firenze after the Gran Prix de Monaco. Seemed like at LEAST 10 hrs as we left right after the race and arrived Firenze about 6am or so.

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 12:08 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

Dear Mr Spinelli,

The reference library of a city near you, or the Europe desk of a large railwy station near you, may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Tables 614 and 90 have your trains.

By day, Florence SMN 1130, Pisa Central lunch 1230 to 1325, Genoa 1523 to 1656, dine on board, Nice 1958. Or Florence 1500, Pisa 1608 to 1625, Ventimiglia dine 2043 to 2140, Nice 2218.
By night Florence 0030, Pisa 0150 to 0244, light breakfast in berth, Nice 0950.
The day trains from Pisa have buffet cars and the 1656 from Genoa has a restaurant car. The night train has couchettes, sleepers, and seats.

By night a second class sleeper puts you with two other men into a compartment, while a first class offers you space with one or no felloiw traveller. By day second class is fine, so long as you reserve all seats in Florence station a couple of days before travel.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London