Search

rail tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 06:17 AM
Joy

rail tickets

Can someone give me an idea of cost of single first-class tickets vs. a eurailpass? We only plan on one long trip from Spain to Paris. Then we plan just short trips near Paris. Thanks

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 08:26 AM
Nancy

The eurailpass is now on sale for $317 for a 10 day pass in 2 months. However, this sale is only good for travel until Dec, 20, 1998. If this is not when you are planning to travel, you may want to consider a europass good for 5 days in 2 months for $326. A second traveler travels for 40% off at $196. <BR> I use the following phone for information 1-800-782-2424. Good luck and happy traveling.

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 12:49 PM
anne

Check the raileurope website, or the ricksteves website. <BR>Ricksteves is real good at helping determine which option is most cost effective.

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 02:55 PM
Paul J

Hi Joy; I agree that Rick Steves is good at helping you determine if a Europass or "point to point" is cheaper. My guess would be that your itinerary would be cheaper using "point to point", i.e. Buying them as you go. We were in Italy last month and buying 1st class as we went was about half of what an Italian RailPass would have been for the same itinerary. Note that if you decide NOT to use the Europass then don't bother to get them in advance, just buy them in Europe. Enjoy your trip....Paul J

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 11:23 PM
Holly

<BR>Anne can you give me the website for raileurope. Do you think a point to point will be cheaper if you travel first class to Naples, Rome, Florence, Venice and Sienna? I adviced my parents to buy the eurorail pass but since I have an international student card I thought I could get discounts. Is that true?

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 05:29 AM
anne

It's raileurope.com. <BR>I don't know about the comparison of costs you mentioned - but I remember that there are less expensive passes that include fewer countries - maybe one of those would work. I believe they're all described in the raileurope site, along with costs, as well as costs for the individual trips you mentioned, so you can get the info and compare. <BR>Happy travels! <BR>

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 07:43 AM
Holly

<BR>I can't seen to be able to determine if Sienna has a train stop or not. When I tried both raileurope and the official Italian website for the train department couldn't give me information on whether or not I can get from Venice to Sienna by train alone. Does anyone know the answer.

Old Nov 17th, 1998, 06:24 AM
Boots

Holly, you may be having trouble finding Siena on the Web because you have spelled it with two "n's." I'm not sure the correct spelling will do the trick, but you can try that. <BR>