Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go to warm my bones between Christmas and New Years?

Old Nov 17th, 1998, 08:58 AM
MollyDonnelly

My husband, kids and I were going to go skiing after Christmas but decided we needed to go somewhere where we could warm up a bit. After moving from Arizona to Scotland, we could use a little warmth and sun. We would like some beach and/or tourist action, but don't really care where. Has anyone had any good experiences with Club Meds in Europe or Africa? How about Italy then? We are partial to on-our-own traveling but think Club Med-type vacations have their place when traveling with kids. (Babysitting!) Please help us with your experiences, ideas, websites to check out ...anything! We appreciate it.

Old Nov 17th, 1998, 10:57 AM
Myriam

If you want to have some warmth and sun you should definitely NOT go to Italy in the winter period. Italy is great in May/June or September/October.

Here in Belgium the Canary Islands (west from Morocco) are very popular, with - most of the times if you don't have bad luck which we had a few times! - pleasant temperatures during the day, though you will need a jacket in the evening. Morocco is about the same temperature.

The south of Israel (Eilat) is warmer and has a very dry (desert) climate. It is great for scuba diving and snorkeling. Regarding temperature, climate and water sports, Egypt (the Red Sea) is quite the same as Israel but the local people and the mentality are totally different !

If you don't mind the longer travel time, the beaches in Kenya are great and it is really HOT overthere. The same goes for the Caribbean which has also become very popular.

If you need more information on Club Med, their website is www.clubmed.com and they have hotels in all the a.m. countries.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need more info.

Bye bye,
Myriam

Old Nov 17th, 1998, 10:59 AM
Myriam

If you want to have some warmth and sun you should definitely NOT go to Italy in the winter period. Italy is great in May/June or September/October.

Here in Belgium the Canary Islands (west from Morocco) are very popular, with - most of the times if you don't have bad luck which we had a few times! - pleasant temperatures during the day, though you will need a jacket in the evening. Morocco is about the same temperature.

The south of Israel (Eilat) is warmer and has a very dry (desert) climate. It is great for scuba diving and snorkeling. Regarding temperature, climate and water sports, Egypt (the Red Sea) is quite the same as Israel but the local people and the mentality are totally different !

If you don't mind the longer travel time, the beaches in Kenya are great and it is really HOT overthere. The same goes for the Caribbean which has also become very popular.

If you need more information on Club Med, their website is www.clubmed.com and they have hotels in all the a.m. countries.

Bye bye,
Myriam

Old Nov 17th, 1998, 10:59 AM
Myriam

Bye bye,
Myriam

Old Nov 17th, 1998, 11:00 AM
Myriam

Here in Belgium the Canary Islands (west from Morocco) are very popular, with - most of the times if you don't have bad luck, which we had a few times ! - pleasant temperatures during the day, though you will need a jacket in the evening. Morocco is about the same temperature.

Bye bye,
Myriam