Rail ticket RT Munich to Salzburg?

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail ticket RT Munich to Salzburg?

I have tried to use the Bahn.de site to estimate the cost of the train from Munich to Salzburg, and keep getting a RT fare of about 70 euro per person 2nd class. Does that sound right? We won't buy the ticket until we are in Munich; just wondered what we can expect to pay. Also, the time for the journey one way ranges from 2 to 3 hours - is that because the train stops several times? Thanks for any information...
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM
ira

Hi ww,

At www.bahn.de I get 26E pp one way, 1:30 hr.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM
bd

Look into a Bayern ticket. Up to 5 people can travel for 24 euros total, which I believe includes travel to Salzburg. I only know this because some fodorites suggested it to me in a trip that I am planning.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM

I have spent a good bit of time on bahn.de lately as I build the itinerary of my December trip in Germany and Austria.

Ira, I have tried avery which way to get this special fare Munich-Salzburg or vice versa and it is does not give me the special Bayern fare of 26E; I get 48 - 52.

Last December, we paid 25E each (party of 4) for one way to Salzburg and I did not know then about the special fare, nor was I offered it at the train station ticket office.

What I am going wrong on the site?

thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM

https://fahrkarten.bahn.de/shop/jsp/...GroupChild=345
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM

I believe the Bavaria ticket can only be used on Regional trains, which take much longer and not on IC or ICE trains?? Not sure but this is my understanding - saves a ton of money.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM

>only be used on Regional trains
Correct, but if it's München-Salzburg, it won't take much longer on regioal trains.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Bayern Pass is the way to go unless it is really important to save 15 minutes. They are purchased at the 'window' in Munich. If they have a better deal, they will let you know.

Regional trains are one class.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM

If you use the link provided, they will be mailed to your home address. Payment is by credit card. Easy!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:11 PM
ira

Hi ww,

I went to www.bahn.de.

I clicked "english"

I entered "Munich" and "Salzburg"

Date "27.04.06"

Time "09:00"

The fares came up as 26E, adult, 2cl.

Munchen Hbf to Salzburg Hbf

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Though regional trains only take 30 minutes longer (2 hours vs 1.5 hours) these are much less comfortable trains, featuring often hard seats and are apt to be overwhelmed at stops by school kids in 2nd class - so comfort and time both is lost. But granted it can save a lot of money.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM

>school kids in 2nd class
The month of August is holiday in Bavaria. Morning hours can be stress ;-). From 9 o'clock everything should be ok , but the ticket is only valid after 9. anyway
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Well August no - i was speaking in generalities - where do you find August in the OP? No and at Christmas breaks, Easter, etc. But i've been on many regional trains that serve at school buses - in December i was on a Black Forest regional train, sitting nicely in my first class seat and all of sudden backpack toting teens flooded on and took over the train, even spilling into, Heaven forbid, my first-class space. This has happened often to me on regional trains, of course only when they're not on vacation. And many of these trains also have hard metal seats.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM

It happens to me every morning, but hey, they're kids and there are virtually no school busses and I once was like that too Even on the worst trains, there's always some nice red plastic seat. Easy to clean and not too hard. But anyway I dislike Deutsche Bahn a lot for it's poor service and constant delays. But that was another thread
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM

We just returned from trip to Germany where we rode 7 different regional trains. In our limited experience through Bayern, we had no uncomfortable seats. In fact we preferred the lower level Regional Bahn's that we rode to the newer Regional Expresses as the RB's had better overhead storage.

Bayern Tickets were easy to buy in the places that we visited as they were a separate choice on the automated ticket machines. Those same DB machines dispensed information on connections in English, important as the Bayern ticket is good for the day and has no arrival or departure data.

Learning to use the rail system was a fun part of the trip.

Regards, Gary
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM

The express trains take 1 1/2 hr and cost €26 pP RT. Regional trains take 2 hrs and with them you can use a Bayern ticket. It costs €25 online or with a ticket machine (easy), or €27 with assistance at a ticket counter.

The only €70 fare I found was €69,75 for 2 people round trip with a SparPreis 25 fare (RT, 3 day advance purchase, no weekend overnight stay required). That is the best deal; €35 pP RT.

There is also something called the Freizeit (free time) fare. For a round trip in a single day (return before 3AM), you can travel from Munich to Salzburg for €29 RT per person. There is no advance purchase necessary for this ticket. It is an open ticket, not train specific, and non-refundable. It uses the faster express trains and does not have a 9 AM requirement.

The Bayern ticket is definitely valid into Salzburg, which is considered a "border" station. There are also ticket machines in the station at Salzburg, where you could purchase the Bayern ticket (or so DB tells me).
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone...I think we will buy them there in Munich. We want to choose a good weather day to go anyway, so can't buy online. We just wanted to know how much to plan on spending for the train. We'll be in Munich May 19-25. Your information has put my mind at ease about the options. Thanks again!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM

I too get confused with the cost of train tickets and different types of tickets available. Can anyone help with some advice with tickets for travelling in Germany and also from Munich to Ljubljana. We will arrive into Frankfurt at 5.40am. We planned on catching a train straight out of Frankfurt to Heidelberg to spend 1 or 2 nights before heading again by train to Munich (perhaps for one night) then on to Ljubljana. It is not important that we spend any time in Munich at this stage as we will be spending 3 nights there during the Oktoberfest. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Do you return to Frankfurt for the flight back? If yes, simply buy a return ticket Frankfurt Airport to Ljubljana and return on arrival from the airport train ticket desk. The ticket is valid for 2 months and does not require you to take a certain train.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Yes we are going back to Frankfurt for our return flight home. We are actually going through from Ljubljana to Zagreb so I assume that we could buy a return ticket Frankfurt to Zagreb at Frankfurt airport when we arrive. Can this ticket be used to go Munich - Frankfurt via Wurzburg when we return. Have you any idea of the cost. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -