Rail or bus in Ireland and Great Britain

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with my 26 year old daughter to Ireland, Scotland and London area in July. Currently we will arrive in Dublin on June 28th and plan to be there until July 2nd. At that time we would travel to Galway for a few days. Our plan then is to go to Scotland for about a week and then down to London for another week. What advice does anyone have on traveling around by train or bus? Our thoughts are after Galway to head to Belfast for a ferry across to Scotland although we have also thought about going back to Dublin and across to Liverpool. I realize this is quite vague but would appreciate any opinions. When I check bus or rail passes in Ireland it does not seem there is a route from Galway to Belfast except through Dublin. I have also checked into the BritRail Pass plus Ireland pass. Thank you for any advice.
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Train travel in Ireland spreads out from the Dublin hub. It would be a very long and tedious day involving several changes of transportation to do a land/sea route to Scotland from Galway.

I would suggest looking into a flight from Shannon to Scotland, in which case you could get a bus from Galway to Shannon. the other choice would be to return to Dublin by train and fly to Scotland from the airport in Dublin.

Is it too late to change your flight to land at Shannon and do Galway first, then train to Dublin for your time there and then fly on to Scotland or London? Then fly home from one of those areas.
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for this information. Unfortunately our flights are booked and I do not think we could change this without large fees. Hindsight! Our return flight home is out of London so we are trying to end our trip there. I have done some checking with your suggestions and found that flights out of Shannon have huge tax/fees that they do not charge out of Dublin. I am not sure why but this is what I am being quoted on Ryanair. I am also looking into bus schedules rather then trains. We are trying to have a fun, relaxing style trip and of course need to watch some costs. If you have suggestions regarding things to do and see I am open to hearing them. We will plan some of the usual but we definitely want to not feel rushed and enjoy the cultures of the countries. My daughter will enjoy the art museums of off beat art activities. Thank you for any suggestions.
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As I posted on your other thread -- an option is to fly from Galway to Edinburgh. I personally don't think you have the time to faff about w/ ferries w/ only 7 days for Scotland.

If you take the ferry to Liverpool, you'll probably want to see the city and definitely the Lake District. Those are great places to visit, but would cut 3+ days from your time in Scotland.

If that's OK - cutting Scotland back to basically Edinburgh and a day trip somewhere - there is nothing wrong w/ going to Liverpool and the Lake District. You just have to decide how much time you want in Scotland.

And the ferries to SW Scotland are a looooong way from Inverness and places you mentioned seeing. You could visit SW Scotland and Ayrshire, Glasgow and Edinburgh -- a nice trip but you'd have no time north of Edinburgh.

If 7 days Ireland, 7 days Scotland, and 7 days London is your plan -- fly from Galway. It will save you a full day of backtracking/travel.
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Why not get a bus from Galway to Knock Airport, Ryanair fly every day to Liverpool....tickets at the moment are 30 EURO , one way for 2 people, more expensive at the weekend...But I would say travel Mon to Fri... for 15 EURO each is good value
hope this is of some help to you
enjoy
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Am I right in understanding that you want to go from Dublin to Galway and then to Scotland?
If so, forget about Liverpool and the Lake District.
The Irish rail network is a very limited network so you will have to return to Dublin in order to go to Belfast.
I would suggest return ticket from Dublin to Galway. Then single journey from Dublin to Belfast which has a link to the ferry to Scotland.
Look at - www.irishrail.ie
www.stenaline.ie
www.directferries.ie

Check back with me if you need info on Galway. P.
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Padhraicin
Thank you for your suggestions. Originally I was thinking exactly what you are suggesting: round trip Dublin to Galway, Dublin to Belfast and then the ferry. Have you ever done this or do you know much about the ferry ride? I will be looking at the links but thought I would see if you have any first hand information.
My daughter has some interest in Liverpool. I guess while in England it will be London and either Liverpool or the Bath area.

Any further information you have is appreciated. You mentioned Galway - do you have some good suggestions while there?

Thank you.