Ireland/Scotland Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been doing much research, and I realize what I want to plan is not the most logical thing. I am planning my honeymoon (2 weeks in August, plus maybe a few extra days) and would love to hit both Ireland and Scotland (because we don't know if we will ever make it back to the area). I was thinking of spending more time in Ireland (9 days or so), and want to make sure to hit the west coast (aran islands). We are planning on B&Bs, and maybe 2 nights in a castle (1 in Ireland, 1 in Scotland).

Any input, as to the top highlights (must see places focusing on local color rather than big cities or toursity areas), top pubs (my fiance wants to go to a pub each night), top B&Bs, top castles, for both Ireland and Scotland would be appreciated!!!!!!! Plus any input of plane vs. ferry for getting from Ireland to Scotland.

Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:50 AM

We are planning a quite similar trip for this June, although it is hardly a honeymoon (wife and I have beenmarried for over 35 years). There are low-cost flights from Ediburgh to Cork, Dublin, Knock and Donegal. There are ferries, that can take you to Belfast or Larne and they might have the one to Ballycastle back in operation by Aug, but if you are going to rent a car, you are pretty much 'stuck' with the Stranraer to Belfast route. ScotRail has some inexpensive RAIL/FERRY tix from Glasgow and Edinburg. Ferry take 1.5 - 3 hours and drops you right in Belfast, as near as I can tell.
You could also continue on the train from Belfast to Dublin, and rent a car there. A one way rental from Belfast to Shannon or Dublin may or may not incur a 'drop off' fee, so watch out for that -- not all do.
Bob
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM

For time, I think you have to fly. Ryanair does a range of options out of Dublin, and Easyjet from Belfast.

I think we need a little more guidance on wher (at least in Scotland) you might like. More of the same? City stuff? East coast fishing villages?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM

The Bushmills Inn in Northern Ireland is fabulous. We've stayed there twice, and would definitely go back. The food is excellent, and there's a great pub attached, so no walking home through the rain.

The Bushmills Distillery is just down the road.

If you took the ferry from Scotland to Belfast, or even Larne, you could do the Antrim Coast Road drive up and hit all of the sites, such as the Carrick-a-Rede Bridge, Dunluce Castle, Giant's Causeway, etc.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Sheila is an excellent source for Scotland as is Ann41 for Northern Ireland, as they either live there (Shiela), or did until recently (Ann41).

I don't know for sure, but Iwould expect August in Scotland is pretty hectic with LOTS of tourists. I'm not sure what the schedule is for Tatoo (spelling??), but I would think reservations in Edinburgh would need to be made EARLY, in order to find close in.
I can't locate a source for rental cars in Larne so unless you bring your Scottish rental car over on the Ferry, I'm not sure how you would get around. I dunno if it is even possible to rent a car in Scotland and return it in the Republic (Shannon or Dublin). N.I.has long been on my list, so I'm planning to include it this trip, but if your intrests are mostly in the West, I have to think that you'ld be better off flying into Cork or Kerry or Galway and then continuing the Irish portion of your trip from there.
Have you already purchased your airline tickets? If not, it would be VERY wise to set up an 'open jaw' flight -- fly INTO Scotland and then fly home, OUT of Shannon. Otherwise, you will lose one day, or more getting back to Scotland, just to fly home...
Bob