Search

"Rack Rate"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 04:37 AM
Henry

"Rack Rate"

I have seen the term "Rack Rate" used in listings of hotel room rates.What does this mean?Thanks.

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 04:47 AM
martha python

The rack rate is the hotel's posted rate for a room; it's the highest price you can pay (as opposed to the corporate rate, the government rate, the weekend rate, the AAA rate, the AARP rate, the haggling-over-the-phone rate, etc.).

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 05:02 AM
merriem

It's like the "sticker" price on a car. The one you never pay full price for.

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 05:09 AM
Ed

Rack rate is the 'normal' (most-often-charged) rate for the room. In Europe you'll probably find more often than not that this is the rate you'll pay. It's always worthwhile, though, to ask about discounts.

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 07:15 AM
hotelmaven

The reason it is called "rack rate" is because it is the published rate you will see in brochures, often on a rack. So many people assume this is the rate they have to pay and are surprised and feel special when they think they got a "deal" or a "discount," or upgrade. Bring a business card and even if you go up to the desk last minute and are not affiliated with anything you usually can get some discounted rate or upgrade, especially in the states. It's better not to reserve rooms through 800 numbers of chains. I'd book on my own, directly at the hotel.

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 12:58 PM
Patrick Ashton

I am reminded of a friend of mine who once arrived at a nice hotel in a US city and pulled out his AAA card and asked if it would get a discount. The clerk looked a lit bewildered, but said, "sure, we'll give you an extra 10% off." As my friend walked away from the counter, he looked down and realized he had presented his local small town bridge club membership card. In other words, anything should get you some sort of discount. But what's up with major hotel chains not giving me my frequent flier miles because I was given a "special rate". That happened three times on my last trip and I am not happy.