Qunitessential Italy?

Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Qunitessential Italy?

My wife and I have 6 days devoted to Italy in August and we are struggling to piece together the "perfrect Italian excursion". Since this is our first time there, we would like to be able to spend our time wisely. Right now we are leaning towards Florence/Tuscany for 3-4 days and Rome area for 2-3 days. We would prefer to do some sightseeing, but intend on making this trip as relaxing as possible. For those of you who have been, what worked for you? What did you do, where did you stay, etc?
Thanks!
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:58 AM

I don't think either Rome or Florence will be relaxing in August. You could easily find a corner in the beautiful Tuscany countryside, visit the small villages & Siena, and have a very rewarding & relaxing 6 days. I like the Val d'Orcia region of Tuscany - around Pienza.

Stu Dudley
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM

The Only 6 Days But Relaxing As Possible formula is way less than ideal as you are traveling in August. I would rent a villa or apartment in the hills of Umbria and loll around a pool and make little daytrips in a rental car to places like Paciano and Panicale and Montepulciano and Pienza and Sant Antimo Lago Trasimeno and take in an evening concert or two in a castle.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM

To be sure, it'll be hot in August in Italy, not only in the cities as Stu says, but also in the Umbrian countryside, as StCirq suggests (thus the lolling by the pool idea).

You might consider this alternative: The Italian Lakes in combination with Venice (it's 'off-season' there at that time). Being near to water, you should find it cooler - and more relaxing, IMO.

A "perfrect Italian excursion".
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM

try the search function.