Reload this Page >

Quilts in Edinburgh

Search

Quilts in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 06:24 PM
Joan

Quilts in Edinburgh

I will be in Edinburgh next June for 13 days and am interested in quilting, quilt shops, and quilt shows. Could anyone give me any hints as to what I might find in the area? And also, what is the best way to get from the Glasgow airport to Edinburgh?

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 12:02 AM
Sheila

The first question I have no clue about. <BR> <BR>The second take a taxi to Glasgow Queen Street station and a train to Edinburgh Waverley. It's shuttle service evry 20-30 minutes or so. <BR> <BR>Or take the airport bus to glasgow central station, and walk (10 minutes) or take a taxi to Queen Street

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 01:37 AM
Gordon R

Just wondering if this is a clash of cultures or terminology. I've lived in the UK all my life, never heard of a "quilt shop" or "quilt show". You've lost me, sorry.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 06:07 AM
Joan

Gordon, You just are not an old lady quilter. No culture clash here. We were in London several years ago and took the train to Ascot to a wonderful quilt show there. Met many wonderful quilters who would know all about quilt shows and quilt shops.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 06:10 AM
Sheila

Clearly a girl thing

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 08:19 AM
John

Joan, a quick web search revealed a reference to a quilt shop, "Purely Patchwork," in Linlithgow, not far from Edinburgh (easy train or bus access.) Linlithgow is worth a visit on its own, anyway. <BR> <BR>Try this link: http://www.quiltingdirectory.co.uk/s...s/scotland.htm

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 08:26 AM
Joan

Sheila, thanks for the airport tip. Do you have any idea what the taxi and train would cost? There will be three of us. Is the taxi cost per person or per trip? I have enjoyed reading all your past info on this site. Also, it we wanted to get a travelpass for the train do you have any suggestions for day trips? I think we will definitely want to do the one to Oban. And also, do you know what the required age for a senior discount is on the train pass?

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 09:09 AM
Joan

John, thanks for that quilting site. It was wonderful. I should be able to find out everything I want to know there.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 10:46 AM
Sheila

Joan <BR> <BR>I'm not a train person, but even I have picked up (and indeed use)the reference that Ben Haines and Nigel Doran recommend. It is www.thetrainline.com It should give times and prices. The taxi is per trip regardless of numbers of people; there is a small charge for each piece of luggage in the boot (trunk). <BR> <BR>I think it's 60 for senior citizen passes but I'm not certain. take a day trip to Oban by trying Rabbie's Trail Burners 0131 226 3133 or Lothian Regional Transport 0131 555 6363 or Go Blue Banana 0131 556 2000 or haggis backpackers 1031 557 9393. I can't recommend any more than another and I suspect that they target their markets so ask, if you don't want to spend the day with a bunch of students listening to rock music. Hope this helps