Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Quickest way from Santorini to Amalfi Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all-
This is a great board and you all are a tremendous help! My wife and I will be going to Greece in June and I wondered if you all knew the quickest way to Amalfi Coast from Santorini? It looks like we might have to fly to Athens and then onto Rome and then take a train and ferry to Positano. However, does anyone know of a quicker way (like flights to Naples) or any other suggestions from people with experience? I would also love feedback on this itinerary:
June 15: Arrive in Athens in evening
June 15-17: Athens
June 17: Ferry to Mykonos
June 17-20: Mykonos
June 20: Ferry to Santorini
June 20-23: Santorini
June 23: Flights and trains to Positano (arrive on 23rd night)
June 24-27: Positano/Amalfi Coast
June 27: Positano to Rome
June 27-28: Rome
June 28: Flight back to NYC

Does this seem like too much? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:00 AM

From Santorini you can get cheap flights via Athens to Rome. From Rome to Amalfi you're on your own. I'm sure there must be a bus and/or train.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link and info-How does the itinerary look to you all?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 01:30 PM

The Greece part looks OK to me for a short visit. If for some reason you decide to take the ferry back to Athens I suggest you wait until then to explore the city. This will serve to give you a chance to adjust your travel in case of a ferry delay due to breakdown or high winds.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Hi nycguy. We did almost the exact same trip last summer for our honeymoon (with the addition of Hydra b/w Mykonos and Santorini). It was a great contrast of beautiful locations. You'll love it.

The travel day from Santorini to Positano was quite long. We left Santorini for Athens on Aegean Air at 7:00am. We then flew on Alitalia from Athens to Naples (with a plane change in Milan). Our flight arrived in Naples around 5:00 I think, and a driver picked us up at the airport for a transfer directly to our hotel in Positano. We got there around 6:30. I recommend flying into Naples if possible. You would have to drive to the coastal towns from Naples anyway, even if you took the train from Rome to Naples. Flying straight into Naples seemed more direct to us, so it wouldn't be planes, trains & automobiles.

I think your itinerary looks good. It is a lot of traveling, but the places you've chosen are all so great and there is plenty of time for relaxing on the islands and in Positano. I like that your city stops are at the beginning and end, so you will be very relaxed by the time you get to Rome.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Europhile-
Thanks for your reply! I actually have been doing some research and noticed that you had done a similar trip and so I'm glad that you saw my post. I wondered how much we might expect to pay for the flights in total from Santorini to Naples? Are there any direct flights from Athens to Naples? I would assume not-but just curious-thanks again for your help-I think I might need some further guidance as I continue the planning for our trip
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:48 AM

I have not seen a direct Athens-Naples flight. I did look for one last year, but all the flights offered had at least one connection. We actually had the Athens-Naples flights included in our FF Mile tickets (home-Athens-Naples-home), so ours was "free" last year. I just checked on expedia.com, and it priced the route on Alitalia at $375 pp. You might consider also getting a Europebyair.com ticket from Athens to Rome ($99 each), then looking for a good rate on the Rome-Naples flight, to save some money. Or just keep looking online for good Athens-Naples fares. On Alitalia, there was a good schedule, leaving Athens at 3:00pm and getting to Naples at 6:00pm. That is a much shorter travel day than we had (but then we had to take what we could get with miles).
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Europhile-
Thanks again for the help with this! I came up with the following idea:
1. Santorini-Athens on Aegean (61 Euro)
2. Athens-Venice on AlpiEagles (39 Euro)
3. Venice-Naples on AlpiEagles (9 Euro)

That is a grand total of 109 Euro for the trip. However, what do you know about Alpi Eagles? I did a little research on this board but didn't come up with much of a consensus view. Anyone on this board ever flown on Alpi Eagles? Are they reliable? These fares that are labeled 'Promo' on their website seem insanely cheap so I was just curious if they are legitimate.
thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:59 AM

nyc- I think that sounds like a great option. Much more cost effective than Alitalia. We are flying Alpi-Eagle from Venice to Athens this summer, but I have not flown with them before. I'm afraid I can't provide any information on the service. For the price (and a direct flight from Venice), we couldn't pass it up. I think (hope) it will be fine.