Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Quickest way from Rome FCO to Roma Termini?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:32 PM
Marilyn

I am arriving at Rome FCO and need to get to Orvieto (Umbria). As far as I can tell, I first have to get to the central train station in Rome (Roma Termini) to get a train to Orvieto. I arrive at FCO at 5:30pm. Any opinions on whether a taxi or the express train from the airport would be faster? (It wouldn't matter except that if I miss the 7:07pm train to Orvieto I have a 3-1/2 hour wait for the next, and I will have been traveling for about 20 hours at this point...) THANKS!!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:50 PM
TJ

Haven't done this firsthand (leaving tomorrow), but I have to think the train would be better as takes you right into the station where you catch the train for Orvieto. Definitely cheaper and at least you're not stressed about traffic etc. We're doing the same tomorrow, only going into Florence. Don't stress about it as you never know with airlines, etc. Would be great to make the connection, but don't want to start the vacation irate because you didn't make a tight connection (from what I've found, the train is hourly so that may also impact your decision, couldn't find departure times).

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:55 PM
Marilyn

Thanks TJ. I won't be irate, just exhausted. It's frustrating because the trains to Orvieto run quite frequently until this 7:07 one. Then nothing til 10:40pm. On the other hand, since it's Italy, the schedule may change by then.<BR><BR>Have a great trip -- Florence is one of the most beautful cities on earth.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:10 PM
JohN G

Marilyn, I have taken the train from Fumicino to Termini, the last time being in June of '98. I could swear it took about an hour and was $9. This was not an express train, however, and it made a few stops.<BR><BR>To get to the train station at the airport, turn left at the ARRIVALS area, after you have retrieved your luggage, and go through electronic doors. There should be an escalator that descends on your right, which takes you to the train. They run quite frequently, as I remember.<BR><BR>If you do get the train, Im sure you will just make the train to Orivieto by skin of your teeth, that is if you can clear customs and retrieve your luggage in a half hour?????<BR><BR>Im sure a taxi would be even worse, considering that it has to navigate traffic to get to Termini, which is practically in the center of Rome.<BR><BR>If you do miss your train, however, you can always put your luggage in a locker, or store it (there is a place, I have seen it) in a luggage check room at Termini, and you can go out and explore the neighborhood around Termini, which is pretty nice. Saint Mary Major is nearby, and it isn't that long of a walk to the Spanish Steps, Via Condotti, or the Piazza Navona. In fact, missing the train might be a godsend!!!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:54 PM
Anna

Buy your ticket from Rome to Orvieto at the train counter at FCO, it will save you a lot of time.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:07 PM
Marilyn

Thanks Mary -- good idea. There does seem to be an express train now that doesn't stop at all between FCO & Termini. John, do you think the area around Termini is ok to walk around at 8-9pm by myself? I am not timid, but also don't want to be stupid. Love your e-address. Having read your comments elsewhere on this site, shouldn't I be getting some fashion advice from you?<BR>Thanks all.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:08 PM
Marilyn

Ooops -- Sorry -- I meant "Thanks Anna".

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:46 PM
Sherry

Marilyn. The people at the train ticket office near the train tracks at FCO are very helpful<BR>I would take the train as you must transfer to another train anyway. Make sure you ask the person at the ticket window, which track or binario the train for Orvieto leaves from.<BR>You can also print up the page of the schedule from Trenitalia that most closely is in the time frame of the train you wish to take to hand to the ticket seller if you think it might be easier.<BR>You may have just enough time for the 7:00. Good luck.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:13 PM
John G

Oh, Marilyn, don't worry about the area around Termini, it gets a bad rap. My own mother and step-father were just wandering around the area last September, long after 10 PM. <BR><BR>There are many al fresco dining spots on the street BEHIND Via Gorgio Amendola, which is one street over from Termini, and you will see many tourists eating here late into the night.<BR><BR>Just be careful, as you would in any large city. If you don't want to walk to the Spanish Step area, you could always take a cab or bus, there are tourist info areas all over Termini to help you.<BR><BR>Amusing anecdote: Do you know, Marilyn, that my mother and step-father landed at Fumicino on Sept. 11, 200l, 5 minutes to the time the first plane hit the World Trade Center??? My mother saw the plane hitting the WTC on the TV monitor at Fumicino (it was on CNN) and she thought they were showing "a disaster film" for people while they were waiting for their luggage!!! <BR><BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:54 PM
Marilyn

Whoa, John, I'd call it hair-raising rather than amusing. Yikes. Thanks again for such useful info. If I can repay the favor, I noticed (in another string) that you are going to Siem Reap in July. I have been twice and my husband 3 times. If you want any info, I have LOTS, including a great and inexpensive hotel. Email me directly if I can help.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:02 AM
Pauline

Marilyn,<BR>I arrived at FCO May 26th 2001 at 7.15am. ..By the time I got through customs, collected the luggage and got over to the train station, I managed to catch a train to Termini at 8.37am....<BR>Arrived at Termini at 9.10am (approx) and then started the long walk to the main station concorse which took 10 minutes (I'm being generous)<BR>I guess what I'm saying, is from my experience in May 2001, you will not make a 7.07pm departure to Orieto, if you are arriving at FCO 5.30pm.<BR>Don't bust your gut....Take the train to Termini.....and then sit at one of the cafes over the road, until your Orvieto train is almost due to depart......Looks like you will have to use 'tooth picks' to keep the eye lids open after that travel time...........

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:26 AM
Judith

Marilyn:<BR><BR>Where is your plane coming in from? If you are on a transatlantic flight the odd are very poor that you will make a 7:07 p.m. train. If your flight is at all delayed or if you are transatlantic and have to go through customs, you will not make it. ThHe Da Vinci Express leaves the airport and travels directly to Termini station twice every hour.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
Marilyn

The flight will be coming from London actually. But I have resigned myself to the unlikeliness of making the 7:07 train. A glass of wine in a cafe and a little people-watching sounds just fine. This is a great forum, not just informative but kind of like therapy for whatever travel anxiety one might have. Thanks to all and buon viaggio (no time to check whether that's spelled right).

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:08 AM
Barbara

Yes, buy the ticket all the way at Fiumicino. Buying tickets at Termini with jetlag is a bad idea. But I think you have missed a couple of trains between the 7:07 and the 10:40--there is a diretto at 7:14 and a train that requires a change at Orte at 8:14. Check the schedule at http://www.fs-on-line.com/. Do you know what to do when you get to Orvieto? The train actually lets you off in Orvieto Scalo, down in the valley. There is a funicular (little railway) that brings you up to the town (this is a hill town). I don't know how late at night it runs.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:53 PM
Marilyn

Thank you Barbara. I was using an online train schedule that did not show the 2 you mentioned. I have now printed out the full schedule and will take it with me.<BR><BR>Also appreciate your concern re Orvieto. I have been there before and plan to take a taxi from the train station to my hotel. That was part of my concern about coming in late -- whether there would be taxis available.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Marian

The question is really not about whether or not you will miss the train, but whether you will be able to clean the opossum poop pans before you go!<BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:54 AM
GAC

As Pauline noted, there is an extremely long walk at Termini Station to connect from the train arriving from FCO to the other trains going to other destinations. You need to walk all the way to the head of the train to connect to the other track from where your connection departs. I had an experience similar to that of Pauline (I also arrived at 7:15 a.m. on 5/26). Allow 60-90 minutes from the time the plane lands to the time you board the train to Termini.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Adrienne

Marilyn: Forget the lockers at Roma Termini. They're definitely closed. I was there in May and the windows are all papered up. You won't have any place to leave your luggage.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:40 AM
GAC

There is still the manned luggage deposit service available at Roma Termini Station. Only the metal lockers have been disabled.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Doug Weller

I wouldn't worry about having to wait at Termini, it's got quite a few shops, etc. to wander around. Not great, but enough to amuse you I'd think. <BR><BR>And I agree you won't make the 7:07 based on my experience.<BR><BR>Doug

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -