quick tips for Cardiff please?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is kind of late, but... We're leaving for one week in Greatbritain very early tomorrow morning.
And on Tuesday I'll be on my own in Cardiff.
I searched the archive for any suggestions -
but perhaps someone has an idea what to do except for a hop on-hop off bus tour and the castle?
I'm 28 and probably have a budget of something like 35 GBP or 50 Dollars for this day.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks to you all!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:16 AM
ira

Hi,

There is a great pasty shop across the street from the entrance to the Castle.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:03 AM

If you are from outside the U.K. I would go to The Welsh Folk Museum at St. Fagans. I have been there many times(and I'm Welsh!) and I think it is one of the best folk museums I've been to anywhere.It is about 5 miles outside the city centre but I'm sorry to say that I can't tell you about public transport to get there.Allow at least half a day here.
Mucky will be along soon I'm sure and he is almost certain to be able to tell you how to get there.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:17 AM

I'd have to second the recommendation for the Museum of Welsh Life (as it is now known) in St. Fagan's. It is indeed a superior example of the outdoor historical museum, and the only one I've ever been to that goes all the way back to Neolithic times!

http://www.nmgw.ac.uk/mwl/
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Hi Kascha912,
I hope I am not too late for you leaving !
Thank you Francis for the vote of confidence.
You don't say where you are staying so I assume you are staying in Cardiff?
Of course the Castle is central and and there is a fairly expensive (IMO) open top bus ride which covers a wide area, which may be great for you to see many things.
I don't know your interests so I will have a stab at a few things:
Castle...transport no need Free
National Museum of Wales:transport no need. Free
Cardiff Bay, Restaurants bars, bus takes 10 mins, or even walkable from the castle area takes about 30 mins.
Millenium stadium tour..transport no need. about £5
Heaps of shopping fabulous arcades to walk down.
Castle Coch North Cardiff...transport req'd ask at the tourist board office wood street opposite the train and bus station.
The Welsh Folk Museum at St. Fagans: Buses operate between Cardiff Central Bus Station (immediately outside Cardiff Central rail station) and St Fagans throughout the year. The No.32 bus from Stand B1 operates at least hourly, sometimes more frequently subject to seasonal variations.
Another option is to catch the No. 56 from opposite Cardiff Castle.
Free entrance
There are theatres in Cardiff, St Davids hall,Tuesday is 'Patrick Moore celebrity lecture', unless you like star gazing its not for you.
New Theatre: Tuesday Wuthering heights by the Northern Ballet ??
Civic Center has lovely parks.
But in the time and budget you have, I would suggest some of the following itinary:
Bus tour, from outside the castle.
Cardiff Castle 1-2 hrs
National Museum of Wales-1-2hrs
Cardiff Bay 2 hours
Welsh Folk Museum may be too much 3-4 hrs.
If you want some traditional Cardiff pub food and great Dark beer, try the 'old arcade' Church st off St Mary st 5 mins from the castle. This place is written in Welsh (cardiff) folklore
This is a quick outline if you want to e mail me at [email protected]. With specific questions I will see what I can do.

Meanwhile have a great time in GB especially Cardiff.
Muck

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Mucky- I wonder if you can help me-I will have a very limited time in Cardiff on Wednesday early evening. It may be as little as an hour.Where can I get a decent meal at about 5 or 6 p.m. It won't be any later as I have to get back to Anglesey that night.
Thanks
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Kascha912,
One other thing I found out just now.
On Tuesday at 12:00 lunchtime there will be a 21 gun salute from the grounds of Cardiff Castle to celebrate the Duke of Edinburgh's 83rd birthday.
I don't think he is there but the soldiers from the Glamorgan yeomanry will be wearing full ceremonial dress for the firing of the salute.
It may be interesting for you.
Frances, Just by the train and bus station there is a place called the Prince of Wales its a wetherspoons pub, you can get a good meal there for a reasonable price, should be well within your hour.
If you just want fish n chips, go to the famous caroline street opposite this pub. There is a restaurant almost next to the Old arcade (see above post for location) In church st called Old Orleans.
Hope its good for you.

Muck
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks a lot for your answers.
I'll print them out and take them with me - but I have to hurry: Need to pack and have to get up again in less than 7 hours...
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:22 PM

I hope that I can catch you before you leave -- regarding the Welsh Folk Museum I recently found out on their website that it is closed for renovations! (I entended to go there myself at the end of June) Have a great time In GB!! I am soooo excited about our upcomming trip -- counting down the days now!!! Have a (b) for me!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Hi Crazy Cat,
St Fagans castle (the house) is closed for renovation, but the Welsh Folk museum is open as usual. Don't cancel your visit as its still very much open.The castle is really just a manor house very nice but not the end of the world if ts missed.
Muck
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Frances,
Are you in Cardiff on Business?
My sister in law is from Anglesey and we were in Beumaris for the wedding a few years ago.
It was so peaceful.
We really liked it there.
Muck
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Hi Frances,
Just remembered, did you ever get to Insole court?
Muck
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Having major problems posting. Topping to see if it's working now
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:10 PM

O.K. trying again having lost a long reply yesterday-maybe its just as well.
First and foremost thank you Mucky for you help to all of us on Cardiff. I accepted at face value that St.Fagans was closed even to the extent that I reminded our family how we'd gone to Skansen in Stockholm and found about 25% of the houses closed without explanation. Our Swedish friend was very annoyed- and I started doing the same.
My daughter was planning to go to St. Fagans this week so I made a mental note to tell her not to bother. What is interesting is that I could easily have checked the website also but I didn't- Many thanks
No I didn't get to Insole Court yet because the only time I've been in Cardiff since you wrote about it, I was on the train and had no transport to get there.
My daughter is just finishing her first year in Cardiff Uni and so my hurried visit on Wednesday is to pick up her possessions so she can then make her own way home on Saturday after the Summer Ball. I will be in the Midlands on business and I'm thinking of coming on to Cardiff and then home . This will mean I imagine about 400 miles instead of about700 if I have to go again on Friday
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:28 AM

Hi Frances,
So the summer ball is this weekend, that is a great sight to see, as is the students on the day of graduation ceremonies. The atmosphere in Cardiff city (as with any University city I guess) is electric and so positive.
Wow you have to make so many journies.
My son is just starting 6th form College and he also hopes to go to Cardiff. He wants to study Journalism and Law, it seems Cardiff is very well equiped for Journalism but I am not sure about law.
What is your daughter studying has she enjoyed her first year in this City?
Next time you are here stay a little longer and bring the car its a great place to visit, especially off the tourist tracks.
Hope you have a good meal in Cardiff I assumed you would be in the city center and by the station.
If you have more time let me know and I will give you some more exclusive places to eat.
I am hogging Kascha912 post now I hope Kascha912 has a successful visit to Cardiff and will come again.

Cheers
and have a safe trip
Mucky
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Not sure how much this is connected to holidays in Cardiff BUT there have been recent threads from Americans about studying in the U.K. so indulge me a little.......
Cardiff has a v. good law school I would say second only in Wales(to Aberystwyth- watch this unleash a discussion!)Large numbers of students go to Cardiff from our local secondary school and I have a feeling that out of any one subject, the greater number study Law.Could have something to do with the nightlife also.!
My daughter is reading medicine- quite a few do that too.
P.S. Guess which Uni I went to?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Don't tell me..aberwristwatch?
Yes I agree about the nightlife,it makes me laugh, no money for food but always plenty for booze.
Ah! so Cardiff is also Law that makes sense now, he is covering all his options with cardiff.
Did your daughter study at the University Hospital too?

Muck
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:44 AM

Mucky,

Can you give me a tip on an inexpensive way to get from London to Cardiff? I checked trains but they're around 100 pounds round trip each ticket (I'll need two), and for me this is totally out of my budget. Renting a car maybe?

Please advise.

Thanks.

IWTN
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 10:02 AM

The cheapest way to get to Cardiff from London is probably by bus. Go to www.nationalexpress.co.uk - they have return fares for about £20.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 10:20 AM
ron

When I was searching qjump recently for train tickets from London to Cardiff, I had no trouble finding APEX returns for £23.50 and super advance returns for £35.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -