Quick change in Franfurt

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick change in Franfurt

I'm looking at a flight Toronto to Prague w/only 1 hr 8 min change in FRA. Is that possible for someone who's never been to that airport? We'll only have carry-on luggage
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 07:04 AM

The luggage is not the issue. Last summer we were on a flight from Nice to SF via Frankfurt and Calgary with only 45 minutes for the transfer in Frankfurt. We would never have made it except for the fact that my wife and a bad ankle and the wheelchair attendant ran through the terminal and commandeered the two elevators we had to take (she congratulated me on being in good shape). We also had to go through passport control, and there also she managed to get us through without waiting on line. We made it to the gate with 5 minutes to spare (and then the plane was 30 minutes late in loading). One checked luggage made the transfer, the other did not.

You will have to go through immigration and possibly customs (generally customs is just walking through with no questions asked), orient yourself to find the next gate and hope that it is not as far from your landing gate as ours was.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 07:53 AM

I'd say the transfer time is tight given that you will have to go through security which can have long lines. There is usually a facilitator at the security line and I would show my ticket with the flight time and you may get moved up in the security line. One time an airport official asked who had a short transfer time and he took a group of us to an alternate security area with few people waiting so we could go through faster.

If it's a Lufthansa to Lufthansa connection you have a pretty good chance of making your second flight as you'll be in the same terminal.

Did you book the flights with the same carrier? If so they will probably put you on the next flight to Prague if you miss your connection. There should be plenty of flights between Frankfurt and Prague, especially as you'll be arriving early in the day.

Many people hate the Frankfurt airport but I think it's great, especially if you fly Lufthansa. The airline and airport employees have an efficient way to help you get where you're going and not miss flights.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 08:02 AM

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 08:02 AM

I'd have to agree with Adrienne--if you are staying with the Lufthansa system, you are likely to make the connection as planned. We've read and heard the horror stories of confusion and being lost in the Frankfurt airport but in 30+ years of transiting through that terminal we have always been treated well by Lufthansa. We have had every variation--smooth transition to major screw-ups but once in front of the staff, we've always been satisfied and they have been very creative in solving the issues.

Now if you are changing airlines, that is a whole different scenario and your brief layover may well not be adequate--and there is very little you can do ahead of time. It really is a very large complex. Good luck. Paul
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 08:09 AM

If Lufthansa are selling your through ticket to Prague, then they believe you have sufficient transfer time.

Here's an online guide to transferring at Frankfurt - for transfers of less than 30 minutes there are fast lanes for quick transfers

http://static.fraport.de/ONLINE/Flip...index.html#/6/
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Yes, we're Luft-Luft so I think I'll chance it. That was a good point re catching the next flight if we do miss the connection
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 05:38 PM

You can get an "idea" of what you are dealing with by looking at "usual" arrival gate at FRA from YYZ and "usual" departure gate to PRG at http://www.frankfurt-airport.com about one hour before arrival and also before departures FRA time for current flights. For example, for Jan 3, LH471 from YYZ arrives in FRA at somewhere in gate 1C and all the Lufthansa departures to PRG for Jan 3 are from somewhere in gate 1A which can involve some trek depending on where in gate 1A the flight departs.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

We made the transfer with about 10 mins to spare but it wouldn't have taken much to lose that 10 mins. One couple was trying to bull their way through customs because they went sightseeing in the airport & didn't realize there would be a customs check. I doubt they made their flight. But we did!!

Word to the wise - always get to your gate first - then go for a drink/bite/gaze at the stars/wander the area near your gate