Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding train or auto rental in France. PLease help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Lisa

I was wondering if anyone could help me sort out the train/auto decision. We are a family of four traveling to Paris for 4 nights, Loire Valley (Amboise) for 2 nights, and Burgundy (Beaune)for 3 nights in April 2003. We are not really afraid to drive out of Paris, but would like the easiest and most cost effective way to travel. Also, I think the day we leave Paris we will stop in Chartres for the Malcolm Miller tour of the cathedral. So, should we rent a car in Chartres, and, if so, I guess we would have to schlep our luggage through Paris to the train and go first to the car rental place in Chartres? Alternately, we could skip Chartres (maybe fit it in on the last day of the trip), and take a train to Amboise and rent a car there? Is this expensive for 4 people? Any help is much appreciated.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Patrick

Since you mention that you are not afraid to drive out of Paris, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to buy four train tickets to anywhere when you're going to be renting a car anyhow. Where are you staying in Paris? The best solution may be for one or two of you to go pick up the car and come back to the hotel to pick up the others and the luggage. Or as you say, "schlep our luggage" to the car rental place. We picked up a car at Avis right next to St. Sulpice which was a very easy exit to depart the city. Since we were staying near by, it was really very convenient.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Lisa

Thanks, Patrick. We are staying on Rue Jacob at Hotel de Danube in the 6th. I think Ste Sulpice is nearby, so Avis might work for us. I will check the map.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:10 AM
StCirq

Lisa: If you do rent a car, I recommend you use AutoEurope (www.autoeurope.com/1-800-223-5555). They are consistently reliable and have the best rates around (and will match or beat any other rate). They are probably affiliated with some rental company, maybe Avis, near your hotel. <BR><BR>And Patrick is correct - there is no need to pay for train tickets for four people. A car rental will almost certainly be less expensive and afford you far greater flexibility in your trip plans. But if you do opt for the train, be aware that SNCF offers family discounts as well as discounts for purchasing tickets 8 and more days in advance.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:34 AM
John H

Lisa,<BR><BR>Chartres is well worth the visit, and it can be done on the way to Amboise quite easily.<BR><BR>Like the others, I'd suggest renting a car. I'd work with AutoEurope on the car rental -- no cancellation fees, very helpful by phone or fax, good rates. Arrange to pick up the car at a location that is close to the western edge of the city and not too far from a highway. (I picked up our cars across from the Eiffel Tower just off a road which led to the highway heading out of Paris to the Loire Valley -- can't remember the exact rental location). I'd have everyone taxi or take the mtro to the rental car location, rather than having to drive the rental car to the hotel location (for reasons of limiting in-city driving). We were only on city streets for a few miles -- and it was early afternoon -- but it was still a harrowing trip. So, do rent where you can get to the Peripherique or another highway quickly. AutoEuropo should be able to help you sort this out.<BR><BR>Happy travels!<BR><BR>John H.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Patrick

Actually I suggested Avis only because of its location and because we rented from there for just a one day -- not available through Auto Europe. But I agree with the others about Auto Europe probably giving you the best rate. If you can insist on a pickup in that area (yes you will be near St. Sulpice) they are likely to hook you up with Avis anyway. From that location it is only about two short blocks to St. Germaine, a wide street, which takes you right to the bigger street along the Seine and right to the Periphique -- all very easy and well marked.<BR><BR>And of course, whether or not the driver comes back to pick you up at the hotel depends a lot on where your hotel is and where you get your car.