Paris car rental drop off

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am about to rent a car and would appreciate advice for on good location drop off. We will be driving up from the south and hotel in Paris is close to the Arc de Triumphe. We will have baggage so will probably take a taxi to the hotel. Advice of a rental location that strikes the right balance between not too difficult to get to and not too far from the hotel - or any other observations would be much appreciated
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM

We too are dropping a rental car off and then spending several days in Paris, in April. We have rented from Sixt and are droping the car off at Porte Maillot. Several car rental companies have drop off locations in this area. It would also not be to far from the Arc de Triomphe.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:48 PM

For my trip coming up next month, I've been looking into dropping of my rental car at one of the train stations in Paris. My main reason for doing this is because it will be easy to get a taxi from the station to my hotel. In the past, I've had difficulties getting a taxi from other rental car locations.

Diane
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Porte Maillot is a convention site so there should be good transportation connections and plenty of taxis around.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Diane, on our last visit to France we picked up our car at the airport but returned it several days later to the rental agency at Gare de Lyon and I couldn't believe how simple and painless it was. No traffic problems at all, and very quick.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM

I had this exact same question. Diane or Images2, where did you end up dropping off and how easy was it?

Flsd, thanks for your Gare de Lyon suggestion.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Yes, we did drop off our Hertz rental at Port Maillot. It wasn't to easy. The traffic into Paris was quite heavy, but I used Mappy.com to get us right into where we wanted to be. We were coming from the North. It was about 4 to 5 p.m. The Hertz location is off a road which changes name. I didn't quite figure this out right away so we went around and around, in crazy traffic before finding our way. It would have been easier if I knew exactly where the office was. You won't see it from the main road. Some of the other rental car offices in this area were much more visible.Check the Sixt prices. We had originally had a reservation with them, but got a cheaper rate with Hertz.

Once we found the office it was easy. No problem at all with checking it in, and they called a taxi for us, which came in about 5 minutes. The trip from Port Maillot to the Marais cost 21€ because it was slow going in traffic. It was worth it though not to use the Metro since our "luggage" had grown since we spent a week in Brittany first. If you can take the train into Paris it would be easier dropping the car at the airport which we have done in the past.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info. While I've driven in Europe with no problem I would like to avoid driving in Paris, so maybe returning at the airport would be our best best.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I should ask, which airport is easier to return to and is closer to Paris? Orly or CGD?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Neopolitan

Getting into the city from the south to Montparnasse (near the station) is really very easy. Most car agencies have return spots there, so it is really a piece of cake. If you do want to drop at airport, make it Orly, so much easier and closer than CDG.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:09 PM

I agree, Orly.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:48 PM

We too are renting a car - in August - from the CDG airport adn going down to the Dordogne (OMG you might say but my husband feels confident!!!) and then back to Paris - we are staying in the marais and decided to drop car at the Gare de Lyon and get metro or taxi - does this seem like an ok plan - anyone have any advice on best way to get to Gare de Lyon from the south - will be late on saturday - eeks! - and would a taxi be too expensive rather than metro
thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would say that Montparnasse would be the easiest location for most people, especially for those coming from the south (Porte d'Orléans) -- it is a straight line to the train station on a major avenue, with no tricks or turns.
Coming from the north, I would say that Gare de l'Est is the easiest location. Gare du Nord can be kind of tricky.
In any case, driving on the major avenues and boulevards of Paris is quite easy -- when you hear nightmare stories about driving, it usually concerns the twisted small one way streets.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:30 AM

You are coming from the south. Drop it at Orly--it is dead easy. Drive into the car rental building, park, take your luggage on a cart across the street to the taxi queue--500 feet. Taxi fare from Orly is about half what it is from CDG--about 20€.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:38 AM

We usually enter Paris via the Porte Maillot and find it quite easy to negotiate, heading from PM down to the Avenue Raymond Poincare. What is the exact address of the drop-off?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Have just dropped off a car at Gare de Lyon - first time - it is easy when you know exactly where to go - which I will do next time, but for a first time if you don't get it right it is a pain to try and get to the National drop off - one way roads going the wrong way. Did not do enough research before hand - wish I had done a detailed Mappy and studied before hand. Am afraid to say that it took about half an hour going round the station to find the right place. Much was our own fault - so if its the first time don't underestimate