QUESTIONS RE: LONDON

Apr 7th, 1999, 06:56 PM
Noreen

QUESTIONS RE: LONDON

My husband and I will be spending 2 days/nights in London in late May. He says we should try to take in a show one night. Does anyone have any suggestions/hints on how to go about getting theater tickets in advance or upon arrival? Also, we will be staying at the Mt. Royal Hotel. Any feedback on this place? And lastly, we had planned to take the train from Gatwick Airport into London. Will that be a hassel, what with luggage to deal with? Any info will be appreciated!

Apr 7th, 1999, 07:08 PM
Marty

The Gatwick Express into London is easy to use and luggage will not be a problem. On our last trip there, we took the train to Victoria, and then took the tube to the stop close to our hotel and had no problem. It is a little trickier taking the tube back to Victoria to get the Express back to Gatwick; you have to be sure that if the tube makes an unexpected stop (I mean stop not as a regular stop), you have allowed enough time to make the train and get to the airport on time. Also, taking luggage on the tube is hard during rush hour times--early in the morning or late afternoon.

Apr 7th, 1999, 07:10 PM
wes fowler

Noreen,
Can't comment on the hotel but will with your other questions. Check the website www.whatson.com where you can get information regarding the theatre, what's on, ticket prices and ticket ordering. The Gatwick Express from the airport to Victoria Station offers no problems. There is more than adequate space for luggage; the train is the cheapest, fastest mode of transport from the airport and runs every twenty minutes or so. From Victoria Station, pick up a cab to your hotel.

Apr 8th, 1999, 07:58 AM
Robin

Noreen:

As the previous posters have stated, taking the Gatwick Express from the airport into the city is EASY, EASY, EASY! When you arrive in Victoria Station, I'd strongly suggest you take a taxi from there to your hotel. (Checked & looks like there's a Mount Royal Hotel on Bryanston, near Marble Arch - your hotel?). You could take the tube, however, most tube stations have ALOT of stairs and you probably don't want to be schlepping your suitcases a couple flights down/up and then walk the 2 blocks to your hotel. Taxi shouldn't cost too much & you get door-to-door service.

As for theatre tickets, check out this website -

London Theatre Guide - Online

http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/

The Lashmars Theatre tickets are sponsors of this website and you can purchase on-line. I only used the website to investigate what was playing in town (it's got EVERYTHING listed), so I can't speak to the reliability of purchasing thru them.

Enjoy your trip!

Apr 8th, 1999, 08:50 AM
cheryl

We used the various london theater websites to find out what was playing in London when we were there. Instead of ordering tickets in advance, we used the discount ticket booth in the city. We got there shortly after it opened, and only had to wait in line a few minutes. I think we paid less than $30 USD for our tickets. However, we were not interested in one of the blockbuster shows, I don't know what tickets are like for those. We preferred, and I strongly recommend, seeing something that isn't really the same here in the states. The Royal Shakespeare, for example. We ended up seeing Oscar Wilde's "Lady Windemere's Fan". It was great, and that's not the type of thing you can see performed well here.

Apr 8th, 1999, 12:18 PM
Connie

I stayed at the Mount Royal Hotel the very first time I went to London and I liked it a lot. That was in 1985 and now it's too expensive so I usually stay somewhere cheaper.

Apr 8th, 1999, 03:02 PM
Chris

The Mount Royal is a pretty basic, business class hotel. In the US it would be the equivalent of a dowdier city center type hotel. The rooms are somewhat larger than most London hotels I've stayed in, there's ample closet/dresser space, and the bathrooms are not bad. But it's definitely nothing special. It's not terribly far from the tube stop, but you'll want to take a taxi with your luggage because of the very busy streets you'll have to cross over and the stairs and all. Also, www.playbill.com has a London page with complete listings. Rather than go through a broker and pay additional fees, it is pretty easy just to call the theater directly and book with a credit card.

Apr 8th, 1999, 06:46 PM
Noreen

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original question. Sure received a lot of useful information. We will check out the web sites given for theater information. I was surprised that everyone used the term "tube." Fortunately, my husband knew that meant "subway." As to the Mt. Royal, we know its on Oxford Street but am not sure what the intersecting street is. Its a couple blocks from the Marble Arch. After reading some of the other questions/responses posted regarding London, I've suggested to my husband that perhaps we consider adding 2 days to our time there. NEW QUESTION: DO HOTELS IN LONDON PROVIDE WASHCLOTHS OR SHOULD I TAKE MY OWN?

Apr 9th, 1999, 07:05 AM
Cindy

Noreen - With regard to the Gatwick Express, you may want to consider getting a ticket "upgrade" to first class seating - luggage and seating areas are roomier than in regular which I always find is a welcome relief from the confines of airline seating! If you have received pound sterling ahead of time you'll be able to purchase some water or snacks from the porter that will come through your car before you arrive at Victoria Station. We attempted the luggage through the tube only once - it was very frustrating and not worth the trouble. The que for the taxi's outside of Victoria line up on the opposite side of the drive - take your luggage and que up at the end of the line.

We only had problems once getting washcloths - finally we located the housekeeping personnel on our floor and requested extra flannels and didn't have any problems after that. BTW - we *always* stay at The White House Hotel on Regent Street as it is well run and the close proximity to three tube stations makes it easy to get anywhere in London.

I'm envious of our trip have a wonderful time.