*Questions on Making Telephone Reservations for Paris Restaurants*

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All!<BR><BR>I'm attempting (and horribly, too, but I'm trying) to make phone reservations for some of the restaurants I plan to eat at in 2 weeks or so and I'm running into a few problems. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.<BR><BR>1) I seem to be running into a problem where they don't want to take reservations on the 1/2 hour. Or is it that I just don't know how to properly phrase it so they can understand me? I usually will say something like 22:30 (literally, vingt-et-deux trente) so I'm probably really butchering the language. Admittedly, my French is dismal. I am doing my best to make most reservations on-line but that's not feasible for all the ones I want to do. And since I have a long list, I don't wish to bother my hotel (it's a small hotel) with my many requests so I'll only ask them when I just can't accomplish this reservation task.<BR><BR>2) And do they not take reservations this far in advance (2 weeks)? Seems I must repeat 2 or 3 times that I need the reservation in Avril, whatever date (ex. 16 (seize - &quot;sez&quot, whatever day (Mercredi - &quot;Mair-kruh-dee&quot.<BR><BR>I really want to do this. I think this is a great exercise for me (but perhaps it's an exercise in futility???). I do find it a little frustrating for me but I'm willing to persevere and just need a little help from some of you nice, kind, knowledgable folks.<BR><BR>Thank you so much in advance for your help. And I appreciate your patience as I try to muddle my way through this.<BR><BR>Merci beaucoup!!<BR>A bientot!!<BR>Mary : 0 )
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:31 AM

I called 2 restaurants before our trip to Paris last year. Afet Bonjour, I asked if they spoke English. In both cases I was asked to wait a moment, then somebody came on the line who politely took my reservation. No problem.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I don't know if they don't like to do that, but 10:30 pm is rather late for a dinner sitting, so that might be the problem.<BR><BR>This probably isn't it, but that isn't how you'd say 22:30, it is &quot;vingt-deux et demie&quot; (you do not use &quot;et&quot; except for the 1's, ie, vingt et un) or you could say &quot;dix heures et demie du soir&quot;
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Beatchick, If phoning doesn't work out, most restaurants now have fax machines. I faxed my whole list before my last trip without any problems. (Les Pages Jaunes helps for fax numbers).
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:42 AM

If Elberko's suggestion doesn't work, I would use &quot;et demi&quot; for :30 &amp; I wouldn't try the 24 hour clock so...8:30 pm would be huit (wheet)heure et demi (du soir for in the evening). 22:30 is 10:30 pm. Is that what you mean? dix (deece) heures &amp; demi.<BR>Bonne chance!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:53 AM

I have the same experience--Call and ask if they speak English, and then make my reservations in English. No sense butchering the language! I was trying to practice some French on my Parisan friend the other day and he said, &quot;What? What the hell is that, Canadian French?&quot; hahaha (no, I'm not Canadian.)
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:59 AM

I just made two reservations this morning, and I'm sure my French is worse than yours! One place I wanted 8:30, and they said I had to have 8, the other place said 8:30, no problem. They were both for 2 weeks away. Helaine
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi elberko, I probably should've explained in the initial post but I would ask them if they spoke English but each time I get &quot;a little&quot; and then I try to muddle thru (and they do, too). : ) I've never had much problems in the past, an English-speaking person would usually come on, etc., etc.. Maybe it's because I'm calling on a Sunday? Who knows.<BR><BR>Christina, the reservation for the 10:30 time slot was for Bofingers where I'd read it was better to obtain reservation before 8pm or after 10pm (that's from Frommer's Irreverent Guide to Paris). But you're probably right, probably 10:30 is just too late. Or maybe they just don't feel the need to make reservations for a time that late?? And thanks for the clarification on the &quot;et un&quot; issue versus other numbers. Awesome.<BR><BR>Minimn, again I should've clarified in the original, but I don't have access to a fax, unless you count the one at work. And I don't think they want me making long-distance faxes...especially since most people know I'm going to Paris. Y'know, 2 and 2 and all that. ; )<BR><BR>Yup, mclaurie, that's it exactly! Only I thought they worked strictly on a 24-hour clock? But the &quot;du soir&quot; certainly clears that up, doesn't it?<BR><BR>Thanks to Christina &amp; mclaurie for figuring out how to do the :30 portion. I feel armed with info now and will resume my reservation-making work!<BR><BR>Thank you, All!! : ) ~Mary
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:03 AM
MGB

Another alternative is to ask your hotel to make the reservations. Last trip we requested our 2* hotel to make us dinner reservations, at the Eifel tower Altitude 95 (I think). They did and probably got us a better table than we would have.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MelissaHI! I do ask for someone who can speak English, but usually get the answer that the person I'm speaking to only speaks a little!!<BR><BR>Helaine, thanks! I guess I'm not crazy after all. Maybe some places just feel more comfortable doing hourly, rather than 1/2 hourly, blocks of time. So I guess you'll be in Paris same I'll be in Paris! Maybe you're just taking all my reservation timeslots - LOL!!! ; )
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh, MGB, I'll ask them to do a few but I have a list of 17 reservations I'm trying to make and don't wish to put all that on them. But thank you!!! : )
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Okay, dumb question #536:<BR>How do you pronounce heures? I know you pronounce the singular as &quot;air&quot;. Would the plural be &quot;airs&quot; or is the s nearly silent or not there at all?<BR><BR>Thanks again!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Beatchick, you do not pronounce the &quot;s&quot; at the end of heures it is silent. And you don't really pronounce it like air either, it's more like urr, sort of the way you pronounce the &quot;ur&quot; in hurt.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Nikki!<BR><BR>I just tried making another reservation this time for Caf&eacute; la B&ucirc;cherie (which now appears to be Caf&eacute; Leffe but same ph#) at 41 r B&ucirc;cherie. With everyone's kind assistance, I was able to muddle through MUCH BETTER!!<BR><BR>I asked this lady if she spoke English and she said no as well. Maybe the English-speaking staff are off on Sundays? I remember English-speaking staff last year when I went. But it really doesn't matter as I GOT THRU IT - YAY!!<BR><BR>Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Beatchick, I am absolutely amazed that you know of 17 restaurants to make reservations!! I am impressed!! Other than Bofingers, are there 3-4 you would share with me? I will be there in late June and would like to go to at least one nice place, don't necessarily want super expensive...but wonderful atmosphere and food. Are most of yours bistros or fancy restaurants? Any suggestions?
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Oh wren...you just don't know our merry beatchick!! She is PREPARED<BR><BR>Hi MM...countdown is in fast mode now!!<BR><BR>Love, J
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Wren, yours is kind of a tricky question. I haven't been to all these places yet but have only read about them. And I base my choices on the location of where I'll be a particular day and then descriptions of the food and decor and then the price. Some people like to have restaurants near their hotels so they can come back from a day of sightseeing, get ready &amp; then go someplace nearby.<BR><BR>But I've read so many books, have so many resources. Use recommendations that others have given (Monica Pileggi from her wonderful website, Bob Bauman's restaurant file, Elaine's Paris file and some really good friends suggestions like CigaleChanta, Scarlett, Leslie Strauss, am even using one of SFowler's recs, a souffle place). But resources I have include Fodor's Paris, Rick Steves' Paris, The Historic Restaurants of Paris, Bistros of Paris, Patricia Wells' Food Lover's Guide to Paris, Patricia Wells' Paris Cookbook, The Paris Cafe Cookbook, even The Expatriate Paris.<BR><BR>Why don't you e-mail me and I can help you better. You can let me know exactly what you're looking for.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>MaryC
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

HEY JOjo!! Yes, it is the countdown - just 2 short scant weeks that cannot pass quickly enough for me. I think I have everything I need including a very small prescription of Ambien for the plane, moleskin for my feet, a list of local laundrettes/Monoprix/post office/boulangeries - all I have left to do is making these reservations, giving Terry pertinent emergency hotel &amp; plane info, and the actual packing! Yikes - I loathe packing.<BR><BR>You coulda told Wren that I sweatin' over the restaurants 6 months ago! : D<BR><BR>Tell Sally I can't wait to try La Cigale.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:26 PM

194 for D and me!!!!!<BR><BR><BR>And I have done NOTHING except the hotel in Paris...first 4 and last 4 nights!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Gosh. I've only phoned ahead before leaving home once in my life to make a dinner reservation. (That was for a birthday dinner at Arpege.) Otherwise, we'll wait until we get to town and I'll call from the hotel, or if we see someplace that looks really interesting while we're out, we'll pop in and make a reservtion for that night or a couple of nights in advance. There are so many wonderful places to eat, you really won't find it difficult. Have a terrific trip. We're supposed to leave May 8. Since our son is in Iraq, however, we are hoping things will be a little less anxious than they are right now. At least we know US Airways will let us make any change if we feel we must.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -