Search

Questions for those who have taken PARIS SHUTTLE to/from CDG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for those who have taken PARIS SHUTTLE to/from CDG

Hi there,

I was wondering if people taking the Paris airport shuttle were happy with the service overall.
Did you reserve online for a shuttle? Was the shuttle easy and quick to find once you arrived at CDG airport?
Also, did you pay cash -- and was any tipping required?
Finally, do they drop you off (and pick you up) directly at your hotel?
We're staying in the Marais on a quiet side street, so we're hoping the shuttle doesn't just leave us off on some corner.

Thank you for your time and info,
Betty
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:18 AM
dln

Betty, my husband and I used them on our return trip from Paris last September and they were fine. We arranged it on-line, no problem there. Yes, pick-up is from the hotel you specify (they will also pick up other passengers from other hotels). They arrived when they said they would. Cost was 36€ and we paid cash. My husband tipped, like everyone else, and I think he just rounded the fee up to 40€.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:19 AM

hi betty,

we used paris shuttle last spring and are considering doing so again in march.

i booked online and (to my surprise!) they charged my credit card right away. regardless, i printed and kept all confirmations and had no problems. we followed the instructions to call before getting our bags, and met the driver as instructed. there was one drop-off before us, which we didn't mind, and it enabled us to get a mini-tour.

we were staying in the marais on rue vielle du temple and were dropped off and picked up right in front of our hotel. the pickup was very prompt.

this year we may take a taxi from CDG since we arrive on a saturday and i anticipate little traffic. i believe the rates can be comparable, unless the taxi gets stuck in traffic, then it would be higher.

i'll probably book the shuttle for the return, just so as not to have to deal with finding or calling a taxi.

long-winded! but we liked them, as have many other posters here.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:19 AM

I haven't used a shuttle since 2001 - I did reserve online and did not give any credit card information. You are supposed to call from CDG -before- you get your luggage, to give them time to reach the terminal and be there when you walk out the door. Hubby brought golf clubs, so we usually had a longer wait for the oversize bags to be put out. Because of that I called them -after- we got all the bags, so they wouldn't leave us if we took too long.
We didn't mind if there were other passengers getting dropped off first, just looked at it as a 'weee, we're in Paris" tour on the way to our hotel. We paid in cash most of the time, and tipped maybe 5% to the driver. Note: shuttle drivers drive just as crazily as do taxi drivers, just fasten seat belt and remember to breathe.

I would confirm about 2 days before our departure that they were planning to pick us up at the hotel and what time. They will want to pick you up very early, say 7:00am for 11:00 flight.

Only one time I paid w/ credit card. The website indicated c.c. pmts were accepted. When we got out at CDG I gave the driver my card - he told me he couldn't take it, no 'machine'. I said 'sorry, have no more cash'. He got on the phone and arranged to do a 'phone transaction'. What else could he do, we were already at CDG with bags in hand.

Since then, we have arrived at Gare du Nord from other locations; took a taxi once and the metro once. We'll be flying into CDG in Sept and plan to use RER.

Taxis are very easy but you pay a bit more for them. We have always incurred charges around 40-50E, 2 people/2bags. Usually give tip 8-10% or so. We usually ask hotel to arrange a taxi for departure morning - think there is a small extra fare on the meter for doing this.

We took the RER from Denfert R. to CDG last fall; got on around 9-9:15am, train was very crowded and stayed that way all the way out to the exposition center, just before the CDG stop. Definitely don't want to do it with a lot of baggage. After you exit the turnstiles, go outside to the sidewalk, turn a bit to the left and wait for the shuttle (bus) to take you to T-1 if that's where your flight departs.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:21 AM

Yes, happy with the shuttle.

Reserved thru airline, BA.

Was quick and easy to find.

Prepaid thru airline.

Did tip.

Drop off and pickup was directly at hotel.

I've used the shuttles thru BA in London, Paris and Rome and the above was true in all cases.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:50 AM

I know you asked for info from those who have used the shuttle. We have not BECAUSE for 2 or more people it is either a wash or more economical in cost, with no hassle of calling, finding, etc. Just walk out to the taxi queue and get a cab.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:06 AM

When traveling alone, I have used Paris Shuttle many times and I'm always very pleased. As Gretchen said, when there are two or more in your party, a taxi is easier, more efficient and the price is the same.(or less)
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gretchen. I was trying to way out the cost benefit for two people. I guess the only way it would make sense is if you hit Paris rush hour, causing your taxi bill to climb upwards of 50 euros, etc.