Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

questions about transport in London (and much more)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I've been reading your messages because I'll be travelling to london as a student for one month in July August. I'll be arriving in Gatwick heading to the suburb of New Barnet. What is the best way and cheapest to do it?
During my stay I'll visit all the places in zone one (which can be done in a week let's say) but most of my trips would be from New Barnet to Finsbury park to my college.
Should I buy an oyster card or what? I forgot to mention that during the weekends I would try to make day trips from london.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:49 AM

Topping for you.

I suppose you could try using this link, also but am sure someone will have more definite advice

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:47 AM

You'll be living in zone 5, but travelling to zone 2 (Finsbury Park), and sometimes to zone 1, but you can't be sure exactly what your travel patterns will be.

Your route to Finsbury Park is by suburban train (from New Barnet station) rather than Underground. These will accept Travelcards, but not (at the moment) Oyster pre-pay, which might otherwise be the most flexible option.

It looks to me as though the most sensible option to buy a monthly Travelcard from a tube station for zones 2-5 (£85.30). This will come as an Oystercard automatically, to which you add the extra needed as and when you travel to zone 1 (a monthly for zones 1-5 is an extra £60 and I can't believe you make that much use of it even if you will be in zone 1 more than you think).
However, I don't know exactly how paying add-ons is handled if you travel by the suburban trains from New Barnet. You might get a better deal when you go into zone 1 if you pay the add-on at a tube station, either High Barnet, or Finsbury Park if you're travelling through there.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...avelcard.shtml

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/n_west.pdf
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:58 AM

To answer your original question re the route Gatwick-New Barnet I am assuming the cheapest way would be by rail but would it be the fastest?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:03 AM

There's no serious alternative for most people to getting the train from Gatwick (First Capital Connect to Farringdon, stair connection to the adjacent Circle Line tube platform and then to Moorgate, then First Capital Connect again to New Barnet.) About 70 mins, but almost always a very great deal longer if you get a taxi through or round London. Get a return ticket at Gatwick (about £25), make sure you get the First Capital train, and ensure you've got a ticket for the whole journey before you get on the train.

But if stairs at Farringdon are a problem, there's no stair-free alternative, and there aren't any staff to help with luggage at any of the other possible interchanges. So for some people, a cab might be essential.

The best person to give you advice on the Capital Connect deal that's best for you will be the ticket seller at New Barnet. Speak to him when you arrive there (you'll get lynched if you ask questions like that during the morning rush hour), explaining what time you're going to need to be at Finsbury Park etc. As long as you don't choose a moment when there's a queue of people trying to get a ticket for a train that's leaving in two minutes, you'll be amazed at how helpful - and committed to saving you the most money - these chaps (and chapesses) are.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I've tried to read the transport brochure but it looks greek to me (although I'm greek).So the best solution is to buy a travelcard.How about my 13 year old daughter?
I don' t mind how fast I'll get from Gatwick to New Barnet because I have lots of time to spare.
One more question. What places shouldn't I miss in London (mpstly interested in history and art)Do you think I should obtain a London Pass or a GBHP?
Thanks again
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
London Pass - no. It must be used on consecutive days. Plus there are so many free sites in London that you won't get tha much use from it.

GBHP - unfortunately - no. It no longer is very useful in London since Windsor, the Tower and Kensington Palace dropped out. the GBHP is brilliant for out in the rest of the country - but again it must be used on consecutive days and 4 days is the shortest option. However - IF you are planning a 3 or 4 day trip out of London sometime - then definitely get a GBHP. It covers over 600 properties all over the UK. You don't need to know the dates ahead of time - they date it the first you use it. So if you know you are taking a few days to visit Yorkshire, or Scotland, or Kent, or just about anywhere - yes get a 4-day GBHP before you leave home.