How do you ride the tube?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Karen

How do you ride the tube?

Having never riden a tube, or anything like it- how do you pay? Is it a turnstyle where you put the exact change in? Do you pay at a booth for where you want to go?
Is it exact cash only?
Sorry- I have never lived in a city and just can't picture this- so it is making me a little nervous! I think I would not be so hesitant about the "tube" if I knew more about it!
I have gone to their web-site- but I could not find any info on how you pay?! And I admitidly did not understand the "lingo".
Any advice?? TIA!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:02 PM
janis

Not a silly question at all. It is pretty simple. You buy a ticket at a window or at a ticket machine. You then slip the ticket into a turnstile type gate that lets you into the main part of the station. You do the same thing when you get off the train - you walk to the main part of the station and put the ticket through the same sort of turnstile to get out.

If you buy an all day ticket or a 7-day ticket the machine will spit the ticket back to you so you can use it again on your next tube ride. And if you only buy a single ticket for that ride the machine will "eat" the ticket as it lest you out the gate.

It is really very simple - you'll get the hang of it after one or two trips.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Karen

Thanks so much for the quick answer!
I will be in London for 5 days- would it be best to buy a week pass? Does the pass let you go wherever you want to go? Or is restrictive to certain areas?
I promise I will check out the web site again...
Thanks!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Thyra

Hello There, yes public transpo the first time an be kind of intimidating. For your first trip, I wouldnt pick rush hour! Commuters really move FAST in the tube!! If you will be in London for several days, then I would suggest getting a multi-day pass which makes it easy to hop on and off without having to worry about zones or how much distance you will be travelling. Personally I always end up at the ticket booth at Victoria station to buy my passes.
There are maps of the London Tube all over, and you are in luck, it's a very well designed system, and even I can figure it out (usually my husband is the navigator!)
You will here a recording before a train is about to take off that says MIND THE GAP, which is beloved by visitors to London and which warns you not to get your food caught between the train and the platform.
You do need to be careful of your purse or pockets in a tube stop or on a crowded train, just as you would in any big area.. but don't be afraid to look like a visitor.. you will see visitors from all over the world looking at the tube maps and counting out stops.. You will love it.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Linda

And when on the escalator...if standing, stay to the right; the left side is for the nonstationary.

And because you said you didn't understand the lingo... Let me get to be the first to tell you to "mind the gap" (the space, sometimes nonexistant sometimes rather wide, between the train and the platform).

Enjoy London and, if you're a girly girl, make sure you go to Boots!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Linda

Rats, Thyra was two minutes quicker. I know everyone who looks at a Tube post thinks it immediately.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Frank

In any city, it helps to look at the map and memorize which line to take. No need to memorize the entire journey, just which line is next and where to change.

Unlike New York, there are no tokens. There are a few zones, though much of what interests tourists are in zone 1. Longer journeys, such as Heathrow Airport in zone 6, costs more.

Arab terrorists have reportedly tried to attack the tube with poison gas but have not attacked yet. That's psychotic behavior in my opinion.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:31 PM
janis

Karen: For 5 days, a 7-day pass is the best bargain. For 4 days, individual day passes are cheaper. You buy the 7-day pass at a ticket window so it might be less intimidating than the monster ticket machines. For the weekly ticket you will need a small snapshot - passport size approximately. If you don't have a spare you can get one in a photo booth in the station. (Just like the ones you see at a State Fair in the States). Your ticket will be put in a small folder with your photo on the other side. You only use the ticket - but you must keep them together just in case a station agent checks.

And yes, MIND THE GAP

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Karen

Thanks again Janis -you have been a great help to me the last few days!!

Also Frank and Linda- and I must be totally out of the loop- I don't know if I am a girlie-girl? Should I? He- He!
Now Boots isn't in Soho- is it????LOL

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Tubebabe

Hi Karen,
Did you know that the tube is 140 years old? If you're really interested about learning more Tube info, check their website at www.thetube.com
and this link: http://www.thetube.com/content/faq/surveys/etiquette/viewresults.asp?exp=7
about tube etiquette. Whenever I visit London I don't really feel like I'm in London until I've been on the tube. I hope you enjoy riding the Underground as much as I do.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Jeri

Something my children enjoyed (and I have to admit, I did too) is that "the tube" has some of the LONGEST escalators in the world!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:12 AM
sylvia

Don't forget that a one day or seven day pass will also allow you to travel by bus. As others have said, the tube is very user friendly with good signing.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Nick

Enlighten me on Boots and girlies! Unless there is a new club called Boots, it is only a chain chemists - like upmarket Walgreens. Perhaps the reference may be to some (only) of the Boots now offering a manicure service? If Karen gets to Heathrow and sees Boots - which she probably will, I think she won't have clue what Linda is talking about.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:38 AM
marie

What is the cost of the 7 days pass? Or can someone direct me to a website with the info? Thanks.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:59 AM
sarah

A week long pass is about £18.50

If you have time though go to
(cut and paste this into your address bar)
http://www.ticket-on-line.com/cgi-bin/web_frameset.exe?crypto_block=E%2D%2D%2DPSrqEnPdBc lTbDWMtLQ8%2D0%2D%2DY&lang=en&user_id=lu&output_te mplate=vtc_start_page

I know that is a really long address, but if you go to the website (Ticket to Travel) you can get a special 'before you go' discount passes good for 2-7 days with some that have Heathrow extentions on them. Really good deal.

Also, be prepared to have an extra picture for a card for a week! There is one that requires that. Just bring an extra passport picture with you.

And have fun!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Karen

Thanks for the info!

Boots could be two things- a boutique:
Funky Threads Boutique - London Boots-
Or a pub in Chelsea: Goat in Boots

Both places sound cool!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Mark

With regards to Sarahs post,the cost of a seven day Visitor Travelcard is 19.50GBP if ordered in advance on the Internet.This covers Zones 1&2.In addition you do not need a personal photo.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 06:23 PM
diane

We bought only a zone-one pass, I believe, and we had to have to picture. That was for seven days. My husband and I took extra passport pictures, but my sister found an old snapshop in which her face was about the size of a quarter and cut it out (about 1 and 1/2 inches square), and that worked fine. Zone one took us everywhere we wanted to go.

Someone mentioned that the pass covers the bus too. We didn't expect to use the bus much, but we sometimes found it handy (and saved our feet) to go just a few blocks--since it didn't cost anything. Also, at night, coming home after seeing a play, we enjoyed taking the bus, sitting on the top level and watching the nightlife down below and all around us, content that for the first time that day we weren't in a hurry to get somewhere, except "home" to bed.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Karen

I went to the website where you can buy the passes ahead of time. If you want to have the pass to the airport- it is 37.50 pounds. They do include coupons for $ off attractions.
You do not need a picture for these tickets. They are for foriegners only and you buy them on line and they mail them to you at no addtional fee.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Chris

When we went to London 2 summers ago, my husband took digital pictures of all of us and printed them off his computer. He had a couple of copies of each of us on one piece of paper. When he got to the window at the tube station, the guy at the window cut them out for us and put them on the pass. Very easy and cheap, if you have access to a digital camera and computer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO