Questions about Milan

Search

Questions about Milan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Milan

I'll be in Milan for half a day and am looking for hours for some things so I can make a plan. I'll be there on a Sunday in August (the 24th) and I understand that much of the city will be closed. Can anyone tell me the hours (or approx. times, or where I can get this information) for:

-Galleria Vittorio Emanuele and shops

-Shops at Corso Buenos Aires (also interested in hours on Monday Aug 25)

-Shops at Via San Gregorio (also interested in hours on Monday Aug 25)

-Sant'Ambrogio basilica and San Vittore

Also, are the Public Gardens (to see Palazzo Dugnani) and/or Parque Sempione worth walking through? Are they safe during the day/night?

We're a couple in our 20s and right now our plan is to go straight to see The Last Supper (we already have tickets for 3pm) and then make our way down to Navigli for the evening. Our main stops will be the Duomo (and its rooftop), San Satiro, Sant'Ambrogio, San Lorenzo Maggiore, Sant'Eustorgio. Does anyone have any suggestions about this itinerary? Will we be able to do all of this and make it to Sant'Eustorgio before it closes at 6:30? Is the inside a must-see? Also, I would love any additional tips, including suggestions about good shops along this route and restaurants in Navigli.

Thank you!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I know someone MUST have some opinion about at least one of the things I've written/asked about!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM

Some opinions/experience:

1. It's very likely to be broilingly hot in Milan on August 24. Plan accordingly.

2. The shops near the Duomo (Galleria Vittorio Emanuele and via Torino) have been open on Sunday when I've been there (June and September). I cannot say whether or not they will be open in August.

3. The Navigli area is jam-packed with restaurants and bars, and specific recommendations may or may not be open. Just pick a likely place where the people look happy.

I have been to a couple of places and will try to track down the names when I get a chance.

Were I you I'd do The Last Supper and the Duomo (with maybe a little stroll through the Galleria) and then head to Navigli to start my evening with drinks. Do make sure you're sufficiently covered up to enter the Duomo, as they do routinely turn people away.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Oh great that's good advice about the Duomo! Thanks I'll definitely remember that! Will it be OK if I have shorts on and then put on a sweater to cover up my shoulders to enter the Duomo?
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM

Nope, no shorts. Whatever you've got on the bottom should cover you to the knees, and this goes for your husband/boyfriend as well.

The attendants at the door were turning away many, many people. I was wearing trousers and put a cardigan over my top, and they all gave me a nod of approval as I passed by.

You might want to consider a visit to the Castello Sforzesco. Walking distance from the Duomo, and a very pleasant place.