Questions about Hostels....

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 02:07 PM
Helen

Questions about Hostels....

I have read several postings with comments about staying in hostels overseas.. I thought hostels were for college students? I am a 40-something American and am surprised that adults have stayed in hostels. Having never tried it, what is it like to stay in a European hostel? I, too, would like to travel to Europe but get scared by the price of the hotels and am looking for a cheaper alternative. Replies from other "mature" adults would be especially appreciated!

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 02:44 PM
toom

I am at very late 20s, as an overseas student in the uk, i always stay at the youth hostel, so that i can have some money left for foods or some souvenirs, and postcards. You can ask for smaller room in some hostels, but of course you have to pay more, and sometimes the price would be the same as small hotels (pensions). When the hostel i'd like to stay is full, the second choice where to stay for me is from a guide book.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 03:59 PM
MarkJ

Hi Hellen, my wife and i (34 and 36 respectivly) stayed in a Hostel earlier this year in London. The impression we left with was that it would be a great place to stay if we were 18 - 25. However, it just wasn't a good fit for us. Everyone was very friendly and helpful but because our room was over the street and the kids stayed up round the clock and there were times when the noise was a bit distracting (no complaints from us we were staying in their territory). For our next trip we will be staying at the Barbican YMCA (which we visited while there) and it seems a little more our speed (realitivly inexpensive, clean and a little more quite than the Hostel). But everyone is different and I'm sure there will be many 30+'s on this board who will tell you they really enjoy staying in Hostels. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Mark

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 01:56 PM
Topper

I'd like to view some replies also!

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 03:21 PM
anna

Individual hostels can vary from the charming old manor house my children and I stayed in in Odense, Denmark, to a bar my students told me about (forget which country) where they hose off the floor at 2 AM and throw a bunch of mattresses on it. Check guidebooks and the Eurotrip hostels forum for specifics when you decide where you are going. Do a web search because many have their own web sites with pictures. Hostelling International (HI) hostels seem to be of a more uniform quality, but even at that you will find variations. The HI hostel near the airport in Copenhagen was somewhat noisier (but also larger) than the one in Odense, and the one near Legoland was just packed with families and kids, though we got our very own bathroom there, which was nice.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 04:58 AM
Maira

The hostel experience can go either way, it even depends on the country. We noticed hostels in England, in the majority, are geared to the student crowd, but in Spain, they are many geared to the older crowd (clean, basic, well located). Basically, with hostels you either go by recommendations or you stopped by and make up your mind. We (late 30's couple) had stayed in hostels by recommendations (Hostel Plaza in Segovia) or by checking up the place (hostel in Padua). The rates are incdredibly cheap, so when you do find a nice hostel, you got yourself a great deal.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 05:47 AM
turnip

I've tried it a couple times and have been very disappointed. Very little privacy, people coming and going at all hours (despite a curfew), noisy, etc. <BR> <BR>In my opinion the answer is bed & breakfasts. My wife and I love them. They are usually sprinkled all over. Guidebooks like Rick Steves often list many good ones. For the most part they are very clean. The owners are friendly local people so you get to see a slice of "real" life while you visit. On the average we spend $40 a night for two people with a bathroom in the room or just down the hall. This includes a filling breakfast. When you add in a picnic lunch and only need to eat at a restaurant for dinner you can do Europe amazingly cheap. <BR> <BR>Good luck with your trip and B&B endevours.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 11:10 AM
Helen

Thank you Turnip - I (obviously erroneously) thought that the B&B's were as expensive as the ones here in the States. I may check into a B&B listing and check out the hostels in the area for a future visit since the noise/quality varies so much.